Side burner on grill...will it hold a boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Don't know the exact amount of BTU's on this thing, but if you preboil the water, for grain extractions, then put the three gallons, extract brewing here, on the side burner of your gas grill, will it bring it up to boil and maintain??

I looked into this several times. The issue that came up was the size of the pot and the weight. The typical BBQ side burner is 12,000-15,000 BTUs, but aren't rated to hold a pot as big or as full as the ones typically used for homebrewing. I gave up and bought a cheap Turkey Fryer (55,000 BTUs) at Target.

I use my 30qt pot on top of the main burners of my grill. It uses cast brass burners however so I'm sure they're a lot stronger than most. I straddle two of the three burners which is more than enough for a full boil.

I think it would prolly work in a pinch but I'd only boil 3 gallons at the most. It will prolly take 3 years to get it up to a boil though.

Get a turkey fryer and be done with it!

Latest posts

Back