First brew is in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb124

Reaction score
LD Carlson Red Ale kit made it's way into the secondary 5 gallon carboy after 7 days in the primary.

I got an autosiphon today before doing it and it was easy as hell. I did get some trub flowing into the secondary though, more than I thought. I don't think that will be a problem however. I was a little sloppy with the bottom of the auto-siphon and stirred up the trub on the bottom of the bucket, but overall I got almost all the beer out of it.

I think I forgot to sanitize the outside of the auto-siphon, but I'm not sure. I know I got the inside, but completely not sure about the outside, and now I'm a little concerned. But oh well, I'm giving the secondary 10-14 days and then I'll bottle. Everything smells and looks good so far. Secondary is in a dark closet that is usually 62-64 degrees, so I am hoping for good results.

Sound like you made it. Did you at least wash the outside of the autosiphon? If you did wash it I bet everything will be ok, but always sanitize EVERYTHING next time. A wallpaper tray is a great little tool that makes sanitizing the autosiphon easy. I use a spoon in the neck of the glass carboy to hold the autosiphon straight and I dont have to hold it. Then I will lower it after a while and repeat this until I see the top of the trub.

Quick question, is it OK if my secondary is in a closet that is about 63 degrees? My fermentation temp was 68-72 degrees. I think I read that a little cooler temperature for the secondary was good, but I can't find that info again to verify.

That should be an excellent temp for your secondary. Many of us find that we make our best brews in the winter months due to the cooler temperatures. Mine are in my basement and are around 57 F. Things may take a little longer, but the results will be good.

Back