JAOM 5 gallon recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadMax

Reaction score
Had anyone made a 5 gallon batch of JOAM>?
if so does the finished 5 gallon batch taste as good
as the 1 gallon recipe?

Could someone please give me the 5 gallon recipe?

How many people love this easy mead?

I have been doing 1 gallon batches at a time.

figured i would go for 5 gallons.

How much yest did you use:?

MeadMax said:
is that 5 grams for a packet of yeast?

If the temp is right, the amount of yeast isn't important... You could put 500 packets or 1 packet. Either way you'll end up with a billion more than you started with.

The only thing I would say is too much > too little.

You might want to consider some pectic enzyme too. I've only done one 5 gallon batch of JAOM and it still hasn't cleared after about 10 months now, my 1 gallon batches always seem to clear way faster. I didn't add any pectic enzyme to it, but after thinking about it, it might have been a good idea with all those oranges.

The pectin in oranges is primarily in the seeds.... and you aren't exactly adding a whole lot of oranges... Pick the seeds out if you are worried.

The slow clearing is more related to the bread yeast than anything else... If you pick a more common Wine yeast like D47 or 71B - it will clear to perfect, glass clear in due time... Bread yeast will clear just fine eventually... it just takes longer...

Anyway, I made up a 5-gallon batch of John's Modified Joes Ancient Orange ;) last year.... I used Orange blossom honey from an Orange grove in South Florida, D47 yeast, Oranges, rasins, cloves, and cinnamon sticks... Instead of dunking a whole bunch of orange peels and pith and seeds - I did half of the oranges that way (No seeds, though), and the other half - I used a microplane grater to scrape off the orange zest into the mead instead of the pith and pulp... I added the zest of several (5 or 8) more oranges as well.... SG was 1.124 starting out.

It fell glass clear after a couple months... NO hazyness what so ever....

I sampled it last week.... WOW! Orangey is all I can say.... It's just amazingly orangey without tasting bitter and pithy from adding all the seeds and pith from the oranges! It finished up at SG=1.01.. Slightly sweet and delicious. What surprised me is that the Cloves and Cinnamon really didn't show up much... They are just adding nuance to the overall delicious flavor....

Highly recommended!

Thanks

Back