st. peter's old style porter clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
okay...so i went to dayton, oh (i live in southern ohio) and discovered the amazing world of jungle jim's...wow...so many beers...i picked up an interesting looking porter called st. peter's old style porter...does anyone know of a good clone of this brew...it is one of the most amazing beers i've every tried with chocolate, coffee, etc hints...if you know of a good clone or something comparable in extra form please let me know...thanks

idkid said:
okay...so i went to dayton, oh (i live in southern ohio) and discovered the amazing world of jungle jim's...wow...so many beers...i picked up an interesting looking porter called st. peter's old style porter...does anyone know of a good clone of this brew...it is one of the most amazing beers i've every tried with chocolate, coffee, etc hints...if you know of a good clone or something comparable in extra form please let me know...thanks

St Peter's is an English import in that cool green 16oz bottle, right? I've tried everything they make (except the porter), and every single beer I've had from them has been skunked. Let me know how this clone works out--I bet that unskunked this beer tastes totally awesome.:mug:

Whelk said:
St Peter's is an English import in that cool green 16oz bottle, right? I've tried everything they make (except the porter), and every single beer I've had from them has been skunked. Let me know how this clone works out--I bet that unskunked this beer tastes totally awesome.:mug:

I got one from a killer beer store just down the street from me and yeah . . .it wasnt skunked and it freeking rocked

Well, add me to the "me too" chorus. I bought a couple of bottles from Total Wine & Beverage near me, and it's one of the best porters I've ever had!

Word of warning, though - I bought it for the cool bottle, too, and that label is a witch to remove. Had to resort to Goof-Off.

Conno said:
WTF is skunked??????

skunking seems to typically occur with beers in bottles that are not brown...i.e. green, clear, etc...literally when you open the bottle it has a bit of a skunky smell and taste...i'm from appalachia so the smell of a skunk is easily recognizeable (haha)...the skunkiness isn't desirable obviously...i've had skunked beers from companies such as heineken, new castle, etc...although those beers aren't always skunked...their bottles make them susceptible due to the abilty of sunlight to enter their green and clear bottles, respectively...

Conno said:
WTF is skunked??????

Yeah, skunked is when the beer is overexposed to light (sometimes heat fluctuation). It smells like a skunk and tastes like crap too.

Anyone ever find a clone of this fantastic beer? I just got back from England and I had one while there, absolutely loved the stuff.

Nemanach said:
Anyone ever find a clone of this fantastic beer? I just got back from England and I had one while there, absolutely loved the stuff.

I think I might have found a ProMash recipe, but for some reason I can't get it to load into my demo version. If you have ProMash I can forward the file to you and you can see if it works. And then of course if it does, we'll be brewin'.

Nemanach said:

found this . . .

www.whatsbrewing.us - St. Peters Porter
A ProMash Recipe Report
BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------
15-B Porter, Brown Porter
Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 35 Color in SRM, Lovibond
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.74
Anticipated SRM: 25.7
Anticipated IBU: 43.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG 10.90 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt (2-row) US-Cargill 71.27 2
4.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal Med 60L Pauls 69.19 60
4.8 0.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 65.04 70
4.8 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 69.19 475
Potential represented as Yield, Coarse Grind As Is.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 8.50 38.9 50 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.7 1 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

Pumbaa,
Thanks alot! When I am able to try this out I will let you guys know how it goes. It might not be for a month or so though because I have a couple brews lined up.

idkid,
Sorry I never noticed that you responded to me. I will PM you my email address and I will compare the recipe that Pumbaa found and yours.

Cheers,
Nathan

attitude said:
i have pro mash. email it to : [email protected] and ill see if it opens. i get mine from market street. very good beer

Just a heads up to you and other fellow homebrewers: When posting your email address on a public website, it is best to spell it (example: raiderwattitude AT tx DOT rr DOT com). Spam bots crawl the internet for posted email addresses and will use it to send you junk mail. Spelling it out helps reduce this.

Sweet. Thanks. That's actually the site where I found info, but couldn't get it to work in my ProMash trial. You rock!

Am I right to assume this is an AG recipe???

PLEASE post about how this turns out! This is one of my fave's.

I'd love to add it to the ever growing queue of things we're going to brew :D

Yeah, definitely keep us posted on the results, this is one excellent porter.

I came across another recipe for it, its pretty similar but its an extract version and has a bit less chocolate malt, also i wonder why they use the irish ale yeast instead of a london one...

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.14
Anticipated SRM: 20.4
Anticipated IBU: 42.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
72.7 6.00 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract-Light 1.035 7
12.1 1.00 lbs. Dry Malt Extract-XLight 1.046 3
6.1 0.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70
6.1 0.50 lbs. Crystal Med 60L Pauls 1.034 60
3.0 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertau Northern Brewer Pellet 8.50 37.8 50 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 4.6 1 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

Search engine works well - hahaha - 2007 thread

Anyone ever get this clone recipe to turn out?

Back