Proper Way To Mix Back Sweetening Honey In Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
Yes, what are the best steps to ensure that before you bottle you have thoroughly mixed and suspended your back sweetening honey so that some bottles won't have more than others, and that the honey will not settle out in the bottles after a long aging period. A degassing wand? A drill mounted mixer?

Thanks,
Jonas

I always worry that being too vigorous at this stage will introduce too much oxygen, so I'd avoid something like the drill. What I do is mix up the back sweetening with a small amount of warmed water, and put this into my bottling bucket...I then rack the mead right into that. This probably mixes things fine by itself, but I then also use a sanitized skimming spoon to gently stir the whole mass up a bit. Again, I try not to make this too vigorous so as not to introduce excessive oxygen. So far I've never found any evidence that I had any incomplete mixing of either backsweetening material, priming sugar, or other additives (acid blend, etc.)

Back