Messed up this year!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peejcj8

Reaction score
So this year I tried to limit the drying process as I noticed that store bought hops seemed a bit more green and moist that the ones I harvest. So I harvested my hops a month ago and dried them for 1-2 days. I had 10 ounces of 4 varieties, chinook, cascade, Columbus, and centennial.

The inside of the hop (spine) did seem to be not as dry as it could have been, but I was planning on using very soon. As the month ran its course plans changed and I delayed the brewing for a month. To make matters worse (probably) I removed the hop bags from the freezer a couple of weeks ago and put them in the fridge. I was planning on brewing that day, and it just did not happen. I usually vacuum seal, but this time I put in ziplock and pushed the air out.

Last night I went to brew and when I smelled the hops they had no hop aroma. They all smelled like a spicy tea no matter the variety. So I tossed them.

Totally bummed!

Back