Questions on my new recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justus

Reaction score
I'm still new at beer making. I finally decided to get away from those kits and start making my own recipes. This is my first crack at it:

½ pound crushed Briess 20L Crystal Malt (6 Row)
1 pound crushed Briess 2 Row Pale Ale Malt (Lovibond 3.4)
"Steeped for 60 minutes"
2 pounds Extra Light Dried Malt Extract
2 Pounds Briess Dried Malt Extract (Sparkling Amber)
1 Ounce Amarillo Hop Pellets (Alpha 7.0%)
"1/2 ounce at start of boil, rest 10 minutes before end of boil"
1 Ounce Cascade Pellet Hops (Alpha 6.3%)
"1 ounce 10 minutes before end of boil"
"total boil time of 60 minutes"
1 Pack of Dry Ale Yeast

Can anyone tell me my approximate alcohol content of this?
And if I wanted to raise the content, would I use more Sparkling Amber Malt or Extra Light Malt. Finally, how much does 1 pound of malt raise the alcohol content? I'm an American Pale Ale Drinker. Thanks

Should I add more Extra Light Dried Malt or Dried Malt Extract (Sparkling Amber). Thanks

Yes its just fine for an American Pale Ale. I would use .5 Amarillo at 60 .5 Cascade at 30 .5 Cascade 15 and .5 Amarillo at flame out

I just got done brewing. I used your advice RICLARK, adding another pound of light malt and adding the hops as you suggested. I'll report back in 6 weeks after a taste test. Thanks again

I know it's a bit early, but I wanted to taste this recipe before I go to the beer supply store tomorrow and get some more supplies. It's not as hoppy as I would like. Can anyone give me advice on how to hop this recipe up. I would like to make a cross between Sierra Nevada and an IPA pale ale.

½ pound crushed Briess 20L Crystal Malt (6 Row)
1 pound crushed Briess 2 Row Pale Ale Malt (Lovibond 3.4)
"Steeped for 60 minutes"
3 pounds Extra Light Dried Malt Extract
2 Pounds Briess Dried Malt Extract (Sparkling Amber)
1/2 ounce of Amarillo Hop Pellets (Alpha 7.0%) at start of boil
1/2 ounce Cascade Pellet Hops (Alpha 6.3%) at 30 minutes and 1/2 ounce at 15 minutes
1/2 ounce Amarillo at end of boil
"total boil time of 60 minutes"
1 Pack of Dry Ale Yeast
5 gallons total
Brew temperature of 72 degrees

I also have been using distilled water at finish, I guess cause I figure it is most likely to be bacteria free. Is it ok to used distilled water or should I use something else?

Thanks

Leaving for the store in an hour. Anybody have some suggestions?
Thanks

Well, I went to my local supply store, which the guys who own it don't know much about making beer just wine. So I purchased the above recipe times 2 batches, and I got 1 ounce of U.K. Target Hop Pellets with an alpha of 10%. I figure I can use 1/2 ounce in each batch of 5 gallons. The only thing I'm not sure of is when to add it.

Target is primarily used for bittering, though it's suitable for all purposes. I actually like the aroma of Target.

For your recipe, I'd sub the Amarillo you're currently using for bittering with a half-ounce of the Target. That way, you can use the Amarillo to increase your flavor and aroma additions.

Cheers,

Bob

Target is primarily used for bittering, though it's suitable for all purposes. I actually like the aroma of Target.

For your recipe, I'd sub the Amarillo you're currently using for bittering with a half-ounce of the Target. That way, you can use the Amarillo to increase your flavor and aroma additions.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for your reply. So start the boil with the 1/2oz target, and when would you add the Amarillo?
Thanks

Check out some of the brewing calculators online, or make the investment ($20) for some brewing software. Then study other recipes for beers you like and branch out from there. Figure out what hops you like, and how many IBUs you like, what malts you like, etc. Experiment! I am going to make some small batches (2.5 Gallons) to continue my experimentation.

Thanks BobNQ3X, you've been very helpful. Did what you suggested today, and I'll report back. I think I'm almost there...

Latest posts

Back