Pouring fruit juice into the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnstile

Reaction score
It's my first time adding anything post-fermentation, but for my current brew I racked the beer onto a quart of 100% tart cherry juice. This was yesterday, and today I'm realizing that it's not going to be enough to give it a substantial cherry flavor. Is there any drawback to pouring additional juice straight into the secondary (it's sanitized), or is it wiser to rack it again?

Any other tips for this sort of method are appreciated as well. It's obviously kicked off a little more activity, and I'm wondering if this will delay the secondary phase and the bottle conditioning phase. I'm on a tight schedule as it's a wedding gift for someone.

Thanks!

I tried what you tried. It didn't work out well, maybe you'll have better luck.

You've definitely added to the fermentation time, by adding sugars after primary fermentation has subsided. Nothing to do but wait it out.

The other problem I've found is that the yeast will eat up all the sweetness, and leave the sour/bitter behind. It probably won't end up tasting like cherry. This is why people use fruit extract.

As you can probably tell, I'm a pessimist about fruit beers. Hopefully you can figure the process out. Find a recipe you trust, follow it to the letter, and don't improvise, especially on a tight time schedule.

Good luck.

Yeah, adding more sugar means you are adding fermentation time. I haven't experimented with fruit additions. Worst case give them the beer with a note that says "drink after (date)"

Yeah, adding more sugar means you are adding fermentation time. I haven't experimented with fruit additions. Worst case give them the beer with a note that says "drink after (date)"

Problem is, you can't bottle till it's done. You don't want to give gift-wrapped bottle bombs!

If I were to add juice, I'd do it in the primary. That way you have all the yeast to work on it. Adding fruit, I'd do in secondary, but I'd do it in primary for juice. Probably do it like a sugar addition and add it right as the ferment starts to taper off.

Back