Damn 1.020!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Just racked my double chocolate oatmeal milk stout to the secondary after 3 1/2 weeks primary (got lazy). It was an AG with 1/2# lactose as well as 1/2# 100% cacoa both boiled in at last 15-10 min. OG was a little higher than my expected 1.054 at 1.062. Just chalked this up to the lactose and cacoa. Anyways, I took a gravity before racking to secondary and was hit with the damn 1.020. I was wondering if this could be this high from the lactose and cacoa again? I figure without those Id be in the 1.015 range.

It's probobly done at 1.020. My standard oatmeal stout rarely gets below 1.022. *shrug*

Lots of dextrins and unfermentable sugars in that I'd wager.

Even if you didn't use lactose 1.020 from 1.062 doesn't seem too out of line for a sweet stout...so having used lactose I wouldn't worry. My first Oatmeal Stout only finished @ 1.018 (no lactose) from 1.058 or so...damn that beer was delicious.

Yeah I figured it was nothing to worry about, just new to AG and all brewing for that matter so I needed a little pat on the back and a couple words of encouragement. Thanks alot guys.

Lactose bumps the FG gravity significantly. I had a milk stout finish fine at 1025. You're done, Timmy. Carb and drink that bad boy.

Back