conditioning big beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I've had an Imperial IPA in the carboy (primary) for 2 weeks. Due to my small kettle, I wasn't able to use the full 10lbs. of LME, but my OG reading was 1.058-and I'm hoping that's understated since I had to top it off with water, and I didn't mix it up very well (the wort on the bottom was likely more concentrated than on the top).

So it's the biggest beer I've done and I was planning on just letting it sit in the carboy then straight to bottling (my only other carboy is full of apfelwein). I used Munton's Gold, and there is a TON of sediment at the bottom after a very violent and short fermentation. Bubbling has pretty much stopped in the airlock. My questions are:

-Is it OK to leave bigger beers on sediment for longer than you would a lower gravity brew? (I was planning on another 2 weeks at least)

-Once bottled, about how much longer will I need to let it condition (than the normal 2-3 weeks)?

Thanks!

i've had mine sit for a couple months in primary, no problem.

big beers (actually most beers) will get better with age in the bottle. you can drink them at 3 weeks, but i let my strong belgians age for at least 3 months.

My Scaldis did not come into the land of full flavor till 6 months later.

Brew a big beer, when its done bottle/keg it and leave it till Christmas time.

My last imperial was something of a dissapointment after a couple of months. But when I tried the next bottle at eight months it had turned into one of the best beers I've made to date. Just awesome! I just kegged up an imperial stout myself last weekend and decided to condition it naturally in the keg for at least six months before I break into it. It's gonna be a tough wait.

My BeastII was about 4 months.
...and yes it is a nasty waiting period. My beastI is about 7 months old and I have drunk about half of it - it is just getting better and better. ...need to make another batch soon!!!

Yeah, my huge belgian was a month in primary, a month in secondary, and I tried one last night after just a week and a half in bottles. Already awesome. It's going to be tough to hold out for it to get even better. :D

I have had really good success with volume conditioning in the secondary. I did a big stout that was in the secondary for about 5 months, and it was outstanding.

I haven't experienced autolysis yet, and I have been going longer and longer in the primary -- 3 - 6 weeks. But that makes me nervous. I posted a poll and found out that autolysis has happened with a number of brewers: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=297568

Regardless, keeping your beer in the primary is probably ok for a lot longer than people generally think. But racking to the secondary is cheap insurance, so I would do your conditioning there.

Latest posts

Back