Seeking Inexpensive (free) 5-6 gal Bucket Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Does anyone have any creative sources for free fermentation buckets such a the local donut shop (icing buckets), McDonalds pickles, ect?

I know you can probably get them from your local deli (supermarket deli might still have them if they carry these loose anymore) from their big Dill Pickles...the ones they used to have in the wooden barrel stand

But I don't know if you'll ever get that pickle smell out of it...

try the deli or bakery department at your local grocery store and see if they have any buckets. some buckets that have been used for cake icing will work. depends on the gallon sizes that are available.

Completley avoid pick buckets unless you like Dill IPAs. You won't believe how many people think they have scored free buckets when they find a pickle bucket. For one, they are too small. Two, you will spend as much as a new bucket from a homebrew store trying to get rid of the pickle odor (you can't so don't even try).

Why work for less than minimum wage?

You don't want pickle barrels. There are a ton of threads on here of people having pickle tasting beers who tried.

Look for frosting buckets from bakeries, even the bakery counter of big box stores, or soy sauce/duck sauce buckets from Chinese restaurants.

I've used frosting buckets for small batches.

The pickle buckets work great on the boat to keep minnows and hold the days catch. I've also used them for mixing mortar for tile.

You think a pickle bucket is hard to get the odor out of? Try getting the smell from dead minnows out of a pickle bucket.

Chinese food resturants, YMCA and others with pools have 5-7 gallon buckets that chlorine comes in. I have several 7 gallon buckets that held chlorine at one time.

The chlorine buckets says don't reuse but chlorine easily and quickly disipates when exposed to sunlight. So as long as they were hosed out I don't see where there would be a problem.

Maybe there is and I just don't see it. I personnally just think it's the chlorine companies doing their version of CYOA because some people are too stupid to wash the bucket out.

I would think the bigger problem with chlorine buckets isn't the chlorine but the fact that it's probably not food grade plastic so the plastic may leach chemicals into your beer. Just a thought.

I understand why people would want to get free buckets. You see buckets everywhere so you think it would be easy. I'd personally rather play it safe and pay 6 bucks for a brand new bucket and lid. Guaranteed food safe, no chemicals or lingering smells, the correct size (6.5-7 gal), and better yet is no scratches.

I've you've got a local recycling center ask them if you can rummage through their HDPE. I work at one and we get quite a few. Although I'd also consider mosquitocontrol's point that it may have scratches and a new bucket doesn't cost all that much...

I got a couple from a local bakery. I use them for catching grain from the crusher, transferring water.

I highly recommend buying an Ale Pail for fermentation. They are very cheap and you get a reliable, food-grade bucket with sealing lid and volume marks (which may or may not be accurate...)

I have managed to find a few buckets from the local coney island. Their feta cheese buckets are food grade, no odor and are larger than 5 gals. Unless I am missing something these are perfect and in continual supply.

I would think the bigger problem with chlorine buckets isn't the chlorine but the fact that it's probably not food grade plastic so the plastic may leach chemicals into your beer. Just a thought.

In my opinion HDPE is HDPE and the "food grade" moniker is completely over blown.

I can understand some people not wanting to use colored bucket but a white HDPE chlorine bucket ? I don't see any marking or numbers on my Ale Pales that would differentiate them from the chlorine buckets I have. And believe it or not I have looked.

I don't trust the FDA they have proved time and again that they are not trust worthy anyway they said #7 plastic was food grade and now Canada has banned it because of BPA. They also allow PETE but the chemical it releases if allowed to get hot is considered by some scientists to be harmful

You can't even trust scientists these days they will say and do just about anything if grant money is involved.

It is impossible to eliminate all risks.

I am happy some people are afraid of chlorine buckets that means there are more out there for ME !
:mug:

Back