2.5 Gal Batch in a 6 Gallon Carboy ?????????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDzBrewery

Reaction score
Been searching, but nothing coming up.. I am about to try an all grain oatmeal stout, I am doing a half batch, because not sure on the recipe Will it be ok do do a 2.5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy ? Thanks

Alternatively, you could check with the bakery department at your local grocery store. I picked up 3 gallon icing buckets (2-3) for free... That way you could save your larger bucket for larger session brews...just a thought

Alternatively, you could check with the bakery department at your local grocery store. I picked up 3 gallon icing buckets (2-3) for free... That way you could save your larger bucket for larger session brews...just a thought
That's a good Idea, I'll try that tomorrow, thanks for the help.....

Since I've been doing stove top BIAB (2.5g), I've been using 6g and 5g carboys for primary. It will have zero impact on your fermentation, and beer. Even though you said you won't be using a secondary, I just was to confirm..don't throw 2.5g in anything larger than a 3G for secondary, the extra headspace is no good for secondary. Maybe someone can explain why..

Since I've been doing stove top BIAB (2.5g), I've been using 6g and 5g carboys for primary. It will have zero impact on your fermentation, and beer. Even though you said you won't be using a secondary, I just was to confirm..don't throw 2.5g in anything larger than a 3G for secondary, the extra headspace is no good for secondary. Maybe someone can explain why..
I am guessing since most of the fermentation is over then there won't be enough C02 build-up , fast enough to clear the dirty oxygen out, causing the brew to be oxidized and possibly infected,, I found that while searching, and it makes since, anyone correct me if I'm wrong..

Back