Too much cinnamon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danbert

Reaction score
Hello all

I just put a cinnamon honey ale (Cinnful Honey Ale) in the fermenter to cool before pitching the yeast. I put in 1ounce of cinnamon powder and I think it might be too much. I sampled it and it seems real strong. Will the cinnamon mellow out? I plan on doing a secondary ferment and then a 2week bottle condition after primary.
Am I worried early?

Cheers
Danbert

Not much i added a tsp or less for a 2 gallon and it had some in the spice of can pumpkin for a pumkin ale, i thought the spices were pretty pronounced assuming your doing 5 gallon compare a third oz cinnimon to a1/2 tsp,not to make you worry but hope you like cinnimon.It should mellow some at least given time,who knows it may be really good after a month. Looking at the bright side spices will hit you in the face at first until it blends in.

It will mellow with time, but an entire OUNCE(!) of cinnamon is a ton for a five gallon batch.

Not sure about the recipe but guessing on a honey ale and an oz of cinnamon it will not mellow out much at all. I would think about brewing another batch and blending it to cut the cinnamon.

At least its true to name-Cinnful.or Cinabomb Honey Cinnamon Ale

I have 8oz of honey malt and 2lbs of honey in there.
On the up side I think it was more like 3/4 of an ounce. When I was measuring it out my scale turned off right offer it went past the 3/4 mark, and I stopped as soon as I noticed saw it shut off. So I know it is between 3/4 and 1 full ounce.
I am looking at possible 1-2 weeks primary and an extra week in secondary.
Also when I strained out the hops going into primary a lot of cinnamon was stuck to the hops and it appears to be settling out fast. I am hoping that racking into the secondary and letting sit will let some of the cinnamon stay in the yeast at the bottom.
I do hope that it doesn't mess with the fermentation. Oh well it is only my third batch, got to make mistakes sometimes. This is the fun of learning. Heck, with that much cinnamon it might be good with my oatmeal in the mornings.

Danbert said:
I have 8oz of honey malt and 2lbs of honey in there.
On the up side I think it was more like 3/4 of an ounce. When I was measuring it out my scale turned off right offer it went past the 3/4 mark, and I stopped as soon as I noticed saw it shut off. So I know it is between 3/4 and 1 full ounce.
I am looking at possible 1-2 weeks primary and an extra week in secondary.
Also when I strained out the hops going into primary a lot of cinnamon was stuck to the hops and it appears to be settling out fast. I am hoping that racking into the secondary and letting sit will let some of the cinnamon stay in the yeast at the bottom.
I do hope that it doesn't mess with the fermentation. Oh well it is only my third batch, got to make mistakes sometimes. This is the fun of learning. Heck, with that much cinnamon it might be good with my oatmeal in the mornings.

I also have 6lbs of light LME and my hops were added 1 oz at start, .5 oz at 15 and another oz at flame out. It does help that I had another taste just before pitching yeast (tried my IG sample) and I dig the flavor.
I will let you all know how it comes out.

Cheers
Danbert

Well, I just bottled this beer. (I also put some in a keg) final tastes show that both the honey and the cinnamon backed off considerably. In fact I wish there were more honey taste.
Overall it is good for young beer. Can't wait to crack one open in a couple weeks and then more later.

Back