Removing Hop Left-Overs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogBrew21

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch yesterday. When I was working the wort from the kettle to the primary I had a lot of hop sludge to deal with. I threw my hop pellets directly into the boil, no bag. I tried straining the wort with the metal screen from my coffee maker (yes, I sanitized it). I was able to separate a good amount of the sludge from the wort, but there is plenty left in the primary. Now as I watch it ferment in the primary I see a bunch of little pieces (of hops) floating around. Plus the kraeusen appears to be full of the hops left over. Will this settle after active fermentation? Can I filter any of this during racking to the bottle bucket?

Picture_0041.jpg

Thoughts?

I never use hops bags, and I'm happy with my beer. If I use a ton of hops, sometimes I sanitize my spaghetti colander, and hold it over the primary and pour the wort in. That works great with whole leaf hops. Usually, I just pour it all in though. After fermentation is over, the krausen falls back into the beer, and the hops sludge settles in with the rest of the trub on the bottom of the beer.

I think that many of us don't strain much of the pellets out, so don't worry about it. You can just leave it behind when your rack the beer.

I don't know if it makes much difference,
but I always try to leave all the trub in the kettle.
Stir in one direction to set up a whirlpool and the trub will settle in a cone.
Then siphon out of the kettle with a copper or SS cane.
A copper pot scrubber keeps leaf hops out of my CFC.

Yeah, it'll all settle eventually after the fermentation finishes. Just dont stir anything up when you rack it or bottle it.

I used to just leave the hops in the wort and not worry about it. I used hop bags in my last batch and i would say its definitely worth it to buy a couple good nylon bags from your LHBS. They are cheap and pretty much eliminate the need for straining.

Personally, i have always wondered if leaving the hops in will make the final product overly hoppy. I have asked the question on the forum before and I think different brewers will tell u different things.
But hey, as long as you like the end result, right?

Back