First Brew, but a couple mistakes to share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricmcam

Reaction score
Ok so I've been hanging around this forum for a few months now absorbing all,the information I can. Great information from a bunch of wise people.

Just did my first brew, and you would expect that I coud have at
Least followed a few basic intructions. That together with the great information I have gotten from this group should have made for an awesome first batch of ale.

The beer is Dead Ringer extract kit,and I used a smack pack of wyeast 3191. I received 3 packs of this yeast from NB and one of the packs was already fully expanded when I got it. Made my starter late, started it about 24 hours before brew time.

Did not follow the instructions to remove the brew pot from the heat before adding the malt. Well of course the malt sank right to the bottom and Scorched.

After pitching the suspisious yeast starter, I realized I did not take an initial hydrometer reading.

Sweated it out for the first 48 hours in the fermenter and then the fun bagan with a ferocious fementation. the 6 gal. Better bottle was rocking and rolling for two days. It's settled dowown quite a bit now and most everything has settled to the bottom. So Iam hopeful that if I follow the rest of the directions better, I still might get beer!

Whether it comes out great or not, I,m hooked:mug:

I wish I had video taped and chronicled my first attempt..... I git partial mash directions and all grain directions all mixed up and scrambled in my brian.. My wife and I had water in ever pot we own on every burner and in the oven...poured sticky wort all over the kitchen floor...we had such a time we named the beer "CLUSTER F%%% ALE" It was absolutely fantastic lol... I have made it several times since and each time there has been some mess up that we laugh about and say it is living up to its name.. including dropping a bottle once during bottling and breaking 2 already capped ones.

Brewing is definitely a "live and learn" hobby. The best part about messing up a bit is the urge it gives you to try it again so you can get it right.

From the sound of it, you got good fermentation.

Lucky guy!! My girlfriend gets so annoyed when I brew because it basically means a day of ignoring her... I wish she was into brewing!

My wife doesn't read this forum so I will say nice things... My wife couldn't care less about brewing.. she will help me with anything I want to try however, and is 100% supportive of whatever I am doing. There is a line in a song that says " I'D DIE FOR HER AND SHE LIVES FOR ME" That pretty much sums her up. And before anyone thinks it is newlywed crap.. been married over 27 years...She drives me crazy sometimes but I am a lucky guy.

Back