Strawberry Wine too acidic... newb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipopiad

Reaction score
I made 5 gallons of strawberry wine about 2 weeks ago, and I believe I added way too much acid blend. It tastes like sour patch kids. Is this normal for this stage, or is there a way to easily bring down the acid content to a drinkable level? Sorry if this is basic stuff, this is my first wine attempt.

serve with sugar that is about all you can do, dont use acid blend next time, that crap is overrated anyway

You could do an acid titration to check the acid level. Then adjust the acid level down with some potassium bicarbonate.

serve with sugar that is about all you can do, dont use acid blend next time, that crap is overrated anyway

Could I add sugar when I bottle it? Or would the leftover yeast eat it and carbonate the wine?

chezteth said:
You could do an acid titration to check the acid level. Then adjust the acid level down with some potassium bicarbonate.

At what point in the process would I do that? I vaguely remember how to do a titration from high school chemistry, but I'll probably have to look up a guide. Also, will the sodium bicarbonate affect the taste at all?

Thanks for the help, guys

You can do the titration anytime. The potassium bicarbonate should not affect the flavor. You should be able to get a titration kit at your LHBS.

Cheers,
Brandon

Back