Welch's 100% niagra wine help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
Im going to be starting this recipe soon and I have montrachet and pasteur champagne yeast at hand and was wondering which one I should use. Im thinking more towards the champagne but would like some advice from someone who has done this before.. Also I noticed the concentrate has Sulphites in it and was wondering if anyone has had problems with fermentation???I have done concord twice but i dont remember if it is sulphited or not. If its a low amount im sure it will be fine, Im thinking about dumping the juice in first and then adding my hot sugar water to try and steam some of the sulphites out...anyways cheers...

Wow surprised no answer for ya yet. So I will give a shot to hive you some help. Never made a grape wine but here is what I do know on the yeast. If you want a dryer wine then go with the champagn but of want sone more sweet and body then do the Montrachet.

Since there are some sulphites in the juice then mix everything up. Put in some pectin enzyme and let it do it's thing for 24 hours after you aerated it very well. After that pitch the yeast. I don't know the kind of sulphites there but should be similar to adding campden tablets in the must befor a yeast pitch. Those sulphites just need 24 hours to rest befor commercial yeast can take hold.

And to be on the safe side for making sure you have a good fermentation start, make a yeast starter. My favorite starter ingredients are as follows.

1 cup warm spring/filtered water
1/4 cup clover honey
1 100mg B6 tablet crushed and added
5-10 raisins chopped finely

Mix well and cover with a paper towel and rubberband. This should be started 8-12 hours befor pitching.

Check the wine recipe database, as Yooper has posted a Welch's recipe that spawned a huge thread that probably answers all the questions...

yes i have made yoopers recipe before but This concentrate contains Pottasium Metabisulphite, other concentrates do not contain this but unfortunantely this was the only 100% white grape juice that is available to me. Thanks alot Arpolis do I get the honey and the B6 from a grocery store?? Ive never made a starter before but ive heard you can also use yeast nutrient and some sugar water is this correct??

yes you can use yeast nutrients and sugar water as well with the sugar proportions the same and only 1/4tsp of yeast nutrients. I like honey over sugar because honey is natrally acidic and it helps the yeast slowly aclimate to a more acidic must & there is less chance of shock. I always have things like B6, fish oil, multi vitamins..... and the such on hand and B6 tablets do a good job and are usually less expensive per weight then yeast nutrients. B6 tablets can be found at walmarts and most drug stores.

okay and when i mix the honey in I dont need to boil it first or anything just add to warm water correct? Also I was planning on making the must and the starter all at once so would it be okay to let the starter go 24 hours instead of 12?

you have a been a great help I will probably start this tommorow

Try and do the starter around 12 hours after the must is mixed. 24 hours is a bit long and the yeast will be running out of nutrients by then. Yes just mix the honey in hot/warm water. Just enough to help you mix it. Honey is a natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent. It will be fine in a 12 hour span.

alright sounds good thanks again for the help homebrewtalk.com rules!

update: I just started this batch the yeast starter worked awesome, I now have a good ferment going but have a few questions.

Do I leave the raisins in the fermentor or should I strain them out when I rack to secondary?

Do I need to add any more yeast nutrient to the fermentor to reduce stress?? Is it possible to use to much nutrient?

I made about 5 and a half gallons so I would not have to top up on the first rack, If I have anything left over should I just put it in the fridge and use later or should i just buy some juice from the store and top up with that?

You can rack off the raisins no problem.

I use nutriferm advanced for step feeding after the pitch. If you only have DAP and already used an appropriate amount. I would not add any additional. DAP is not made of natural nitrate sources. The yeasties need natural sources after the lag and initial phases of fermentation. Just aerate for the first week and if there is any sulfer like smells you may need something like nutriferm advanced or plain Yeast hulls.

A lot of recipes just say top off with water but I think topping off with juice is better IMO.

Glad it is moving on along well for ya. Happy fermenting!

yea it is going good i think i will just wip it a bit and let it do its thing....nature has taken her course.....cheers

Latest posts

Back