Question about food grade silicone as an anti-foaming agent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltusGravitas

Reaction score
This is my first thread post (new guy):
I haven't been brewing for too terribly long. Maybe about a year with 12-15 partial mash batches under my belt. My LHBS recently turned me on to using food grade silicone as an anti-foaming agent to be added to the wort to prevent boilovers and primary fermenter explosions. I have used it in my past few batches and have gotten great results.
Today, I was brewing Falconer's Flight Extra IPA from the kit put out by Brewer's Best and when I went to add the silicone early in the boil, the dropper clogged up and, being an idiot, I just decided to squeeze harder which of course made the top blow off and probably about a third of the contents of the eyedropper went into the wort. I'm hoping it doesn't negatively affect the final product.
When I took a sample to check the OG I noticed the wort in the test beaker had separated into what looked like a bunch of clusters of hops/trub solids clumped together in suspension throughout the tube.
Does anyone know if this is a result of too much silicone in the wort? Should I expect any negative results in the final product or will simply racking to secondary help to clear things up?

-AltusGravitas

Relax, don't worry. the silicone is heavy and will settle to the bottom. You'll be able to rack the beer off of it. You probably did already if you siphoned the wort from the boil kettle.

Back