Belgian Ale recipe from LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardball

Reaction score
This is the Belgian Ale recipe from my LHBS:
6lb Pale Dry Malt
1lb Belgian Candi Sugar
8oz Flaked Wheat
8oz Cara Vienne
1.5oz Liberty Hops 60min
.5oz Liberty Hops 5 min
Trappist White Labs Yeast

How does this look? I compare it to some of your recipes and it seems like it is lacking in some areas.

I'm not trashing my LHBS I just want to make sure I am getting the best Belgian I can try to get as it will be my first.

It looks like a belgian!

The thing about belgian beers is that it's sometimes hard to pigeon holethem into styles. The biggest character in belgian beers is the yeast. Belgian beers often use candi sugar to make it stronger, but keep the body like a regular gravity beer. Since both of those are in your recipe, I think you're going to be fine.

Yeah, you can put together just about any recipe you want, but throw that trappist ale yeast in there, and it makes all the difference. My first brew ever was supposed to be a trappist, but the guy at the LHBS substituted Nottingham(?!) for a belgian style yeast, and it came out drinkable, but very boring. Tried a similar recipe a couple months later with WLP500 -- whoa! Big difference! That yeast is amazing. Just be prepared to let it condition for a long time after bottling, like two months. Mine still isn't quite ready.

Back