buying grains for extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Well I am making my first esb without using a beer kit. I was just curious the recipe calls for grains... do I need to crush them before puting them in the boil?? I know when I bought the kit they were already crushed...

First, you NEVER boil your grains. You keep them below 170 degrees when you STEEP them. Secondly, yeas you need the grains crushed. Either at the lhbs, or do it yourself.

First, you NEVER boil your grains. You keep them below 170 degrees when you STEEP them. Secondly, yeas you need the grains crushed. Either at the lhbs, or do it yourself.

sorry that was a mistype. I usually do steep them. I just noticed midwest supply crushes them for you. I wonder if they will send me a bag to steep them in to??

Also my lhbs is pretty small. I'm wondering if they would have brewer's gold hops and first gold hops... If not can I subsitute for something easier to get that he would have??

There's hop sub charts both on here and throughout the web, hopefully they even have one hanging in their shop. I usually use google, and type something like "Cascade Hop Sub" and that usually nets me the answer I need.

The yeast im using Wyeast Labs #1968
On wyeast site it says at a higher degree fermentation will give off fruity flavors. What kind of fruit?? My last esb tasted like grapefruits.

The yeast im using Wyeast Labs #1968
On wyeast site it says at a higher degree fermentation will give off fruity flavors. What kind of fruit?? My last esb tasted like grapefruits.

English yeast strains produce some ester compounds during fermentation. these can be described as fruity tasting. Not like a grapefruit but like strawberry, apple juice, apricot, bubblegum all mixed together. The fermentation temp controls what esters and how much you get from the yeast. Colder temps reduce the esters. Experiment by using different yeast and temps and taste the results. Some esters are very pleasant and some are obnoxious. enjoy the journey. :mug:

English yeast strains produce some ester compounds during fermentation. these can be described as fruity tasting. Not like a grapefruit but like strawberry, apple juice, apricot, bubblegum all mixed together. The fermentation temp controls what esters and how much you get from the yeast. Colder temps reduce the esters. Experiment by using different yeast and temps and taste the results. Some esters are very pleasant and some are obnoxious. enjoy the journey. :mug:

Yea my last beer i brewed at 72 degrees it was a hefe I used Wlp300 (I think im correct) talk about a bannana bomb...:ban:

I was thinking about going the same route only because my basement stays at a steady 70 degrees.

sorry that was a mistype. I usually do steep them. I just noticed midwest supply crushes them for you. I wonder if they will send me a bag to steep them in to??

Midwest supplies the bag to steep the grain only in their recipe kits. Since you are making your own recipe you will need to purchase the bag.

Yea my last beer i brewed at 72 degrees it was a hefe I used Wlp300 (I think im correct) talk about a bannana bomb...:ban:

I was thinking about going the same route only because my basement stays at a steady 70 degrees.

If the air temp is 70 the ferment makes it's own heat and may reach 75 or higher. That's very warm and will not only make some strong esters but some harsh alcohol flavors. not good. I try to keep the fermenting liquid temp in the mid 60's. But it depends on the yeast. for WLP300 I keep it at 62F. For English strains like WLP002 or WLP007 I stay around 65F and raise it to 70 at the end for to get rid of the diacytle. For Cal Ale WLP001 I go at 68F. For Belgians I start at 64F but raise it at the end into the mid 70's

Back