Beer Alchemy now on iPhone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly, I've sent a few emails to Kent Place re: BeerAlchemy questions, but have not heard back on any of them. Couple that with no new blog entries on the site since October 21, and that makes me wonder if anyone's behind the wheel there. ???

I had a problem with an upgrade to BeerAlchemy software and Steve got right on it with quick emails and a download to fix my problem ASAP I say Steve is behind the wheel......Thanks again Steve!

Is there a listing of what calculators are available for the iPad application?

iPhone/iTouch:
Units (Weights, Volumes, Temp, Gravity)
Mash Calcs (Strike temp, Infus Step, Decoc Step, Batch sparge, Mash Vol)
Beer color (really just a sliding scale with a square box that changes color)
Bitterness
Carb
Attenuation
SG Correction
Refractometer
Pitching Rates
Nutrition
Evaporation/Dilution

iPad version has all the same ones, but the individual calculators (eg. "weights" or "volumes") is its own selection.

I've never checked the results from alchemy with results from other reputable calcs (eg. Mr. Malty) but suppose I should.

By the way, Beer Alchemy rocks and the developer has been very responsive when I've questions or issues (and the issues were usually my fault). I wish he had a mailing list because I had no idea there is an iPad version until this thread just came back to life. I promptly purchased it. I now own the iPhone app, the iPad app, and the Mac app.

I would also love the ability to sync the mac app to another mac. I have the app on my iMac and MacBookPro (I believe the license allows for three macs). I wish I could easily have the two sync. I wonder if a server side sync would be possible, with auto updating upon startup of each app. For now, I sync to my phone, then sync to my other mac. Still, great apps.

i.
I would also love the ability to sync the mac app to another mac. I have the app on my iMac and MacBookPro (I believe the license allows for three macs). I wish I could easily have the two sync. I wonder if a server side sync would be possible, with auto updating upon startup of each app. For now, I sync to my phone, then sync to my other mac. Still, great apps.
You could move your recipes into a DropBox folder. It's not 'officially' supported but seems to work Mac to Mac. Just don't use the app at the same time on more than one Mac - all sorts of bad things might happen.

Dropbox is free for its basic package.

Thought I'd bump this thread than start another.

Is there any difference between the iPad and iPhone versions of the app? I already own the iPhone version and don't really see a need to another $10 on what would essentially a prettier UI.

Essentially the functionality of the app is the same. The main difference is that the app makes better use of the bigger screen and there's a lot less forward, forward, forward, back, back, back through menus. Both apps have most of the functionality of the Mac app for a lot less money - the iPhone app is $5 and the iPad $10.

Steve, as soon as my iPad gets here (waiting for almost 45 days for ApoBox) I will be getting the iPad version, I love your software

Tim

Latest posts

Back