Do you drink your bad batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking one now! My pale ale got oxidized with some unplanned delays between packaging and getting it into the kegerator. If I didn’t know how good this recipe can be I might not have noticed, but this is brown and boring. I’ll drink it until I have something else to put in the keg.

I’m struggling through a terrible dunkelweizen, myself. I keep trudging through the bottles because I partially want to figure out what went so wrong, and because I keep thinking maybe, just maybe, it’ll be better with the next bottle.

Only like 9 more bottles to go.

I do lots of experiments and get lots of beer that isn't really all that bad, but not really ready for prime time. So I try blending it with other beer and cider and yes, sometimes I just have to dump it out. I usually have a "wake" for my departed brew and open up a bottle of barleywine to drown my sorrows.....
:bott:

Yes. I have several bottles of a cream ale that have a phenolic yeast flavor. Bunch of 22 oz bottles I keep staring at hoping they'll miraculously disappear.

IMO, life's too short to drink bad beer. If it's not up to snuff, it gets dumped. So far that's only been due to equipment issues during the brew process (sat too long at high temps, in the kettle, and was way too bitter).

IF I have any concerns with a batch, I'll pull a sample (that's what sampling valves are for ;)) and decide. Hell, I was concerned about the cider I started just over a week ago. Pulled a sample yesterday and it's good. FG is lower than I expected, but tastes good.

Back