hope for hop growing in the south

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
Just north of ATL with my first year rhizomes planted a month ago and I have a dozen bines about 8' long! In all fairness I dug up a clump of rhizomes from somone's existing patch, but they are kicking it!

I live in the mountains of eastern TN and I put in 4 Rhizomes on Monday a few days after they arrived. Don't have any bines yet, but here is hoping to a good root development year!

Ive got 2 each , cascades, centennials, and chinooks on their third year in Phenix City, Alabama

I live in eastern TN...I have a little over 200 plants. The second year nuggets and cascade are just hitting the 16' mark with burs from top to bottom with about 20" sidearms on the nuggets.The first year plants are anywhere from 1' to 5'. As long as you can keep the downy mildew in check...hops love it in the south.

I live in Houston Tx and they seem to doing great here. I just found a decent size cone on my second year hops. They have lots of little flowers all over them to. :rockin:

I live in eastern TN...I have a little over 200 plants. The second year nuggets and cascade are just hitting the 16' mark with burs from top to bottom with about 20" sidearms on the nuggets.The first year plants are anywhere from 1' to 5'. As long as you can keep the downy mildew in check...hops love it in the south.

How do you do that? They seem fine now. Just a little evidence of a few insect bites.

How do you do that? They seem fine now. Just a little evidence of a few insect bites.

I spray them with a copper sulfate spray. Its a pretty common fugicide so it should be easy for you to find.
Be careful about over use of it though as it accumulates in the soil and worms dont care for it.

cool. I was a little worried since runoff water for houses next door pretty much runs out under the hops creating some excess humidity in my backyard.

cool. I was a little worried since runoff water for houses next door pretty much runs out under the hops creating some excess humidity in my backyard.

Excess humidity isnt much of a problem unless it starts hitting the 80% + mark and stays there for a few hours. After that you need to keep a cloose eye on them, especially if you have several days of really high humidity. Also keep at least the bottom foot stripped of leaves and the crown neatly trimmed.

Several days of really high humidity here in the ATL? naw! it won't happen.

I have not had any problems (that I am aware of) with powdery mildew.

I have cascade, nugget and magnum. They all grow differently. I have dug rhizomes each year. this year I started guerrilla planting hops around town. 7 different sites, all three varieties.

he he he.

I wonder If I can overtake the kudzu?

My mother in law lives up in ellijay and I seriously thought about doing the same. Plant em semi- wild and see what happens. Wonder if the state gets pissy if you plant them in the state parks.lol

Latest posts

Back