Dark Beers for Wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin8425

Reaction score
Hope you guys can suggest some beers. My wife only drinks dark beers. She prefers stouts and porters, but I am getting bored with them. I want a spicy Hefe, but she isn't interested. Is there a nice alternative that is dark but also hoppy and has Hefe characteristics? Caveat...I'm not a huge bock fan. Mission impossible...

Some ideas:

Chocolate Wheat
Imperial Stout
Old Ale
Java Stout
Double, Trippel, Quad Belgian
Honey Porter

Greg

Greggy said:
Some ideas:

Chocolate Wheat
Imperial Stout
Old Ale
Java Stout
Double, Trippel, Quad Belgian
Honey Porter

Greg

Chocolate wheat? Haven;t looked at that one. She just requested a chocolate stout, so that may go over well. What's the deal with Belgians? From my experience, they are always to malty for me. I am kind of a hop head and she is a dark kind of girl...Chilean to be exact...

Sounds to me like you'll just have to brew more beer: one batch for her, and one batch for you.

Chris

I agree. I ordered a Imperial Stout today from AHBS. I am trying to convince her to do a Hefe, but what the wife wants, the wife gets. I guess I shouldn't complain, at least she supports my habit. Thanks for the suggestions. Dunkel? Not familiar with that one. You have the Cliff Notes on that one?

From the German Beer Institute website:

DUNKELWEIZEN

AKA:
Dunkelhefeweizen, Dunkelkristallweizen, Dark Wheat Ale

Pronunciation guide for English-speakers:
"doonn-kel vite-sen" (pronounce the "oo" short as in "foot")

Definition:
Dunkelweizen is the dark version of the regular golden-yellow Weissbier or Weizenbier (more commonly called Hefeweizen in North America), the spritzy, creamy Bavarian wheat beer with pronounced clove, vanilla, banana, apple, bubblegum, and sometimes nutmeg flavors. Dunkel means dark in German (as opposed to weiss, which means white) and Weizen means wheat. Like a Hefeweizen, Dunkelweizen is made from a mixed mash of wheat and barley malts, but unlike a Weissbier, it also contains a large array of lightly to thoroughly caramelized or roasted malts that give it both its color and its complexity. A Dunkelweizen, therefore, has all the characteristic and differentiated flavors of a sophisticated wheat ale, overlaid with chocolatey to roasted flavors. Dunkelweizen is a very complex beer style with endless variations on the same theme. There are dozens of brands of Dunkelweizen in Bavaria, each with its own, very individual, flavor orientation, and several brands, inlcuding Schneider Aventinus and Erdinger (depicted) are exported to the United States. For more on German wheat beer brewing, see Weissbier.

JDS,
You may be the answer to my question! That sounds exactly like what I want! You rock. Now, suggestions for a partial mash recipe?

Well, here's a link to a weinstephenaner clone, right here on good ol' HBT

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42549&highlight=Dunkel.

Here are some recipes from the Cat's Meow 3 database:

http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/03_05.html
http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/03_32.html

The only Dunkel I've ever brewed is a variation on Charlie Papazian's 'Blow me Away Holiday Ale' (also at Cat's Meow), and I haven't done it in a while. If you need help converting any of the recipes to a Partial Mash, shoot me a PM, and I'll be glad to try my hand at it with Beersmith.

i've made a few dunkelweizens over the past year. they've all been fantastic. basically just start with a good simple german hefeweizen recipe and add a small amount of chocolate malt. it rounds out the flavor and makes for an awesome brew!

for instance: it could be as simple as:
4 lbs Munich malt
6 lbs Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt

0.75-1.00 oz Tettnanger (or Hallertau) for 60 minutes

BAM! awesome dunkel-weisse ready in just a few short weeks

EDIT: For a PM with the above mentioned recipe, you could go:

1.5 lbs Wheat Malt
1.5 lbs Munich
0.5 lbs Chocolate

and just add about 4 lbs Wheat DME

:mug:

Yep...This is why I check this forum 30x a day. Very helpful. This will be my next brew and I am very excited about it!
Thanks!!

justin8404 said:
Hope you guys can suggest some beers. My wife only drinks dark beers. She prefers stouts and porters, but I am getting bored with them. I want a spicy Hefe, but she isn't interested. Is there a nice alternative that is dark but also hoppy and has Hefe characteristics? Caveat...I'm not a huge bock fan. Mission impossible...
:mug: Widmer makes a dark wheat; Snowplow is the name. Here is a clone from my LHBS. It is a Milk Stout.

5# Light LME
1.5# Wheat Malt
1 Crystal Malt (60L)
.75# Roasted Barley
.40# Black Patent
1# Flaked Oats
1# Lactose(5Min.)
.5oz. Magnum (60 Min.)
.5oz. (5 Min.)

White Labs British Ale Yeast (WLP005)

I have tried the Widmer but have not brewed this yet. But this always comes around in winter.:mug:

Latest posts

Back