Hair in bottling bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyehave

Reaction score
So I just got done bottling a 5 gallon batch of brew. I looked inside the bottling bucket and one of my girlfriends hair was floating around the bottom. I'm not sure when or how it got in there, I'm hoping when it was full with sanitizer...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Results? How worried should I be?

Take care!

I wouldn't be too worries, mostly because it won't do you any good!
You know the saying......... hair today, gone tomorrow! Hopefully it turns out good :)

Had that happen once. They were probably horse hairs. Think there may have been two hairs in the bucket to start with. Found a snake in one bottle of beer. That must have been the second hair.

Yes and it inspired a similar thread. pretty fun read near the end where we were mostly just coming up with horrific names for whatever crawled out. Basically at the last minute a stream of sweat slid off my forehead and into the fermenter. Seriously, I hadn't added the yeast yet, but it was added 60 seconds later. Nothing bad happened. As one of the posters noted, 'How did the Babylonians manage to do it' (with no concept of germs, hand washing, etc). Cheers.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/possible-contamination-bodily-fluids-352392/

My first All-grain batch was a centennial blonde for my father in law. My wife (a brunette) makes our labels. When we bottled, I found one of her hairs stuck on the side of the bottling bucket. My wife found a picture of a brunette holding the US flag and saluting. "Centennial Blonde, only her hairdresser knows for sure." ;-)
This beer is the family favorite. Great taste.

short and curly?

----------------------------------------------------------

omg - where's the delete key? how do I hit unsend? dammit !!

I think you'll be fine. We have four cats. Their hair is everywhere (including my beer, I'm sure).

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

Haha, after having joined at least a couple dozen forums of varying varieties...you guys are def the kind I could drink a beer, or 12 with!

Its not a blond ale...its a Jalapeño Cream Ale that I ironically made for my girlfriend for her birthday coming up...but now it's called Hairapeño Cream Ale...

Once was at a sports bar drinking. Felt a hair in my mouth and was grossed out. Went to pull it out of my mouth and was even more grossed out when it started tickling in my throat and the hair was as long as my arm. Yuck...was like a magician pulling scarves out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Once was at a sports bar drinking. Felt a hair in my mouth and was grossed out. Went to pull it out of my mouth and was even more grossed out when it started tickling in my throat and the hair was as long as my arm. Yuck...was like a magician pulling scarves out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are we still talking about pubes here?

I think you'll be fine. We have four cats. Their hair is everywhere (including my beer, I'm sure).

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

Ouch, can't imagine 4. We have two and I'm still blown away by how cat hair just turns up everywhere and drops off my clothes when I least expect it. I'm pretty diligent about sanitation, but I have 2 kids under 10, 2 cats. If my beer isn't adversely affected, I'm assuming it's reasonable difficult to do so as long as you are trying to keep things clean.

Hey. I had to stick my entire arm into a bottling bucket once to tighten the spigot. Work out fine. A little fuzzy but . . .

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Are we still talking about pubes here?

A few facts about myself that non of you knew.

1) I used to serve beer at a sports bar.

2) in spite of my job requiring me to have short hair, I am currently working on getting into the Guinness books of world records for longest hair... Down there.

3) I love magic.

Good opportunity to name your beer with a clever play on the saying "Hair of the Dog" if you ask me. :eek:

I wouldn't listen to everyone else. This sounds like a hairy situation to me. In all seriousness you could name it "hairy ale" or "hairy ape ale" ... and just keep it to yourself :) I'm sure I've had my own hair in mine. It should be fine really :D

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you are going to drink this beer fairly quickly.
Most bugs need oxygen to really take off and you should be denying them that. Yeast hates to start work in an alcoholic environment. That's one of the reasons you shouldn't add a pack/tube of yeast strait into a stuck fermentation and expect it to do anything. Unless the yeast are actively fermenting already they will just drop out.
Whatever yeast/bugs were on that hair are severely outnumbered by the billions of yeast cells that fermented your beer.

Moral of story = Whatever was on that hair is most likely going to take a long time to effect your beer or won't effect it at all.

I have 3 dogs and I brew in a brew shed I got thats 40ft from the house now named the hairy dog because no matter how clean my house/shed is theres that one dog hair thats gets in everything... kettle/ferm/bottling bucket ect.. ive never had an issue with infections and im starting to think its the hair;)... it should be good beer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

In our shower, my wife has least 15 different containers of shampoos, conditioners, potions and salves she puts on her hair -- there's no way any bugs can survive that chemical onslaught. If your girlfriend spends even 10% of what my wife spends on this stuff, you've got nothing to worry about.

So I just got done bottling a 5 gallon batch of brew. I looked inside the bottling bucket and one of my girlfriends hair was floating around the bottom. I'm not sure when or how it got in there, I'm hoping when it was full with sanitizer...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Results? How worried should I be?

Take care!

Just think son, You been there and done that and are no worse for wear. Just zip up and go on...

Back