"Ghost of Misery Mire" -- A DW/Rogg/CDA hybrid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilafdm

Reaction score
Full disclosure: n00b here, but I'm getting a real kick out of making goofy recipes, whether success or failures. This might generate a lot of eye rolling. Sorry!

(Also: bonus points if you know where I got the title of the beer! :rockin:)

OK. Here's the logic:

• I really like Cascadian dark ales (or whatever the current preferred term is).
  • I also like dunkelweizens.
  • Truthfully, I don't think I've ever had a roggenbier, but if it's essentially a DW with rye subbed in for wheat -- well, I'm in.
  • I like rye IPAs as they're brewed around here in Southern California.

A Venn diagram is forming here...

Could there be an intermediate brew in here somewhere? Something of a dunkelweizen + Cascadian lovechild, reared in a chaotic environment of ryes and San Diego hoppiness? :drunk:

Again, I'm new to this, but I made a spreadsheet (NERD ALERT) of notes I read about the style considerations for American Pale Ales, DWs, and Roggenbiers. The rightmost column, DWRIPA, describes potential guidelines for this beer. I kept some notes handy on CDA while filling in the hops and stuff. (The link goes to a public album I have on Facebook, so I could host the full-size image. I hope that's not a TOS issue or anything.)

Hokay. So!

Has anyone done or thought about a ... erm... blackish-rye-wheat-IPA ... thing like this? I mean, Karl Strauss' "Boardwalk Black Rye IPA" is juuuust about what I want, but ... a little more weizen, a little more Cascadia... And maybe not quite 80 IBU and 80 SRM like this guy.

Is a happy hybrid even conceivable?
I mean, I like pizza, sushi, and M&Ms, but I understand they don't really belong in the same bite...

Any pointers?
Red flags?
Ways this could be worth trying?

Either way, before trying something like this, I need to sharpen my technique first. It sounds like the extra steps which (maybe) are(n't?) necessary might open up too many opportunities for error...

If you're still reading: wake up! ;)

Thank you!

Cheers,
P.

I don't see why this wouldn't work well. I don't have any particular recipe suggestions to offer you, but I say definitely go for it. Sounds tasty.

I don't see why this wouldn't work well. I don't have any particular recipe suggestions to offer you, but I say definitely go for it. Sounds tasty.

Glad no huge red flags appear.

Do you have any thoughts on it still being successful as a simple single infusion mash? I just ain't got the skillz for the decoction stuff yet. (Or should I hold off on this until I CAN do a good decoction mash?)

Latest posts

Back