Any good Belgian Recipies you have.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a good Belgian beer extract recipe you would like to share. I love the Rochefort, and chimay blue alot, and was wanting to do something along these lines. My local beer shop has a book with a chimay blue clone in it, but i was just wanting to get a tried beer recipe.

Thanks for any help you have.

Well, tbh most of those recipes are really simple. A rough guidline would be:

Pale Malt extract %85-%95
Candi Sugar (Invert sugar) %15-%5
Light hand on the Noble Hops (Hallertau, Saaz, and a few others are well suited)

And the key item: One of the Belgian yeast strains. WLP550 is a good one, but there are a few really good onese besides.

Start fermentation at around 60F and then move it to a warmer place around the third day or so 70F and by about day 5 put it in 75-80F. That procedure is normally done by the yeast activity themselves, but from what I understand on a homebrew scale it is near impossible to get that degree of exothermic action from the yeast.

The Lazy Monk recipe in my sig line is a great belgian style that's easy to make. I got great reviews on it. I love belgians, and I think that this fits the overall belgian style nicely.

Recipe Grand Cru Style Belgian Specialty Ale
Brewer Batch 5.00 gal

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.073 OG Estimated FG 1.018 FG
Recipe Bitterness 43 IBU Alcohol by Volume 7.4%
Recipe Color 5° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.7%

Ingredients Quantity Grain Use
8.00 lb Wheat malt extract extract (Alexanders)
2.00 lb Honey Orange Blossom

1.50 oz Northern Brewer pellet 60 minutes

1.00 oz Hallertauer pellet 30 minutes
1.50 unit Crushed Corriander oz. dried 30 min

1.50 unit Crushed Corriander oz. dried 15 min
0.75 unit Orange Peel oz. dried 15 min

1.00 oz Hallertauer pellet 0 minutes
5.00 tsp Orange flower water tsp. 0 minutes

1.00 unit Belgian Abbey yeast WYeast 1214

1.00 oz Crushed Corriander dried Dry Hop
5.00 tsp Orange flower water Dry Hop

The spicing (coriander and orange peel) are significantly higher than most recipes, but this beer is GREAT! Got the recipe from Home Sweet Homebrew in Philly, the only recipe (out of ~20) that I have done twice! It is big, and ages great. I have some that is 6 years old, and tastes wonderful. The orange flower water adds an amazing aroma. Mine finished at 1.012.

Latest posts

Back