Keeping Hops from spreading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castawayales

Reaction score
I searched around, but didn't find anything yet.

I am planting more hops this spring, but do not want them to spread. Has anyone planted them in a container such as a buried coffee can?

I'm thinking of either that or a five gallon plastic bucket with holes drilled in the bottom and a layer of rock for drainage. I'm planting them near the property line and don't want them to invade the neighbors over time.

I read somewhere people used coffee cans, but like many things I read I forgot where it came from.

Thanks,
Barry

My Los Angeles area LHBS grows hops in 5 gal pails, one plant each. I would think the bigger the better for a coffee can.

I'm planting Hops as well this spring. Everything I've read is that you cut out the sprouts that you do not want and they will not come back. I could be wrong, but if they start to spread, you just cut them back. I think if you plant them in some kind of container in the ground, they will not do as well. You can e-mail the freshops folks and they would possibly have the answer.

Perhaps you should plant them somewhere else if you don't want them to grow on to your neighbors property. Or you could just hand out a couple of brews for the trouble.

Hops have an extensive root system, and will not grow very well in a coffee can. I grew some in 5 gallon buckets last year and the tap roots flowed out of the bottom. I would recommend a 5 gallon bucket minimum, and a bigger planter if you can get it.

The best approach is a bit labor intensive, but it involves digging/cultivating around the plants each year and removing the shallow roots.

I haven't tried this with hops (yet), but I've had good luck stopping other spreaders by surrounding them with a 6" deep border barrier.

I planted mine in buckets with the bottom third cut off and I've still found a couple shoots outside the buckets.
hops018.jpg

So if I understand correctly, the shallow roots are the ones that spread the plant from point A to Point B. The deep roots just go down for water/nutrients?

Then a good old hoe could keep them relatively isolated and I'd get exercise, sun and fresh air. Probably blisters and a good thirst to boot.

I just don't want them popping up at random every spring. One brewer suggested the tubes you use to pour concrete into. They can be placed like a border and put as deep as wanted. Sounds like a lot of work to me. Burying a bucket would make a good border and keep a lot of lateral spreading down.

Looks like research time here. Maybe a couple each way to see what works.

Thanks,
Barry

What about terra cotta chimney flue liners. You can get them in quite large diameter, and stack a couple to get the depth you need. They're porous, so you don't have to worry too much about water retention.

Does the neighbor have a flower bed nearby? Or is it just grass? If it's just grass the shoots should die back when he/she mows. If there's a flower bed I'd recommend sucking up to the neighbor or something, because they'll have to pull or cut the shoots by hand.

I tried the coffee can trick with mint once and the very next season it spread all over. I guess the expert who recommended it never tried it!

I'm going to grow hops after I move, and I was thinking of growing them with grass around them so I can mow the stray shoots, but you need a little space for that.

Back