Efficiency for extract/steep recipes and other brew math

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
Does efficiency mean anything for a extract/steep recipe?

I'm kind of curious how well i've done on my recent dunkle heffe.

I do a partial boil so I bring 2.5 gallons to a rolling boil and then set that aside in a bucket to cool while i do another 3.5 gallons.

My recent recipe uses 8oz of carmel and chocolate malts steeped at 155 for 50 minutes and i'm adding 7 lbs of wheat extract to that.

Last time I made this I ended up with a 1.042 OG, this time around I got a 1.046. I take my reading after i pitch the yeast and everything.

The recipe I'm following does 8 oz of specialty malts and only 5 lbs of wheat extract and suggests an estimated OG of 1.036. It also calls for 1 oz each of 5.5% cascade at bittering and aroma times. I've embellished mine to be 1oz of Centennial for bittering 9.5%, then at 30 minutes I add 1 oz of Tettnang 2.8% and then at 5 minutes i toss 1 oz of Centenial 9.5% for aroma. How does that work out to be IBU wise?

So far my gravity is down to 1.014 so I guess it's fermenting good. The airlock is still moving so this might end out pretty low on me.

I'd love if someone could help work through the math for me on this.

Thanks!

Regarding efficiency, no, it does not really apply to extract with steeping grains.

As for IBU calculations, you probably ought to try out some brewing software - I'd recommend beersmith, it even has a free trial.

beertools.com also has an online version that has a free option. you can only save 1 recipe at a time...so I use their email option to make a 'print out' for myself then create my next recipe after I delete the last one.

and as stated, efficiency is only something you have to worry about when actually mashing grain to extract sugars. pre-made extract already had its efficiency set in stone, which is why there are known gravities for extract in X amount of water...but with grain you determine your gravity based on an efficiency rating.

that's why some guys complain about missing their gravity or over shooting it...their efficiency wasn't what they'd expected.

Back