corny lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insco2

Reaction score
do you guys ever have any problems with corny lids not fitting properly? Is there a rule of thumb by which kegs and lids go togather.I bought the cornies from the same place and 2 have metal ring relife and two have plastic tabs you flip up. Any way of telling with go to which keg?

You should keep the original lid with its respective keg...in your case, I'd get new gaskets and swap the lids back and forth until you find which fits which the best...then don't mix them up again. Make sure you use a bit of keg lube on the gasket and pressurize to 8psi or so. Once you find what fits, you can mark the keg and lid with a small punch or similar "mark"...keg one gets one punch, lid one gets one punch, ket two gets two punches, lid two gets two punches, etc...simply mark them somehow. Not really any way to tell which goes with which easily...I'd just "trial and error it". I've got 4 corneys and would not want to mix lids and be in your situation. Good luck. :(

man i would have thought using corny keg would have been easier.... now i have to keep track of all 10 lids.. OH WELL... the price you pay for not messing with 100 bottles every time i guess. :confused:

I have 13 cornies and keeping track isn't a problem, I just work with one keg at a time. The tricky thing it not swapping the plugs, since they are slightly different sizes. I always store kegs with a little pressure in them. That way, I'll be certain they will seal when I use them.

There are different styles of lids like racetrack and oval but the lid is not uniquely fitted to the individual keg.

If they look the same, they are interchangeable.

The relief valve has no bearing on how the lid fits.

You've got to be jerking my chain. Right?

Just in case you're not:

Hold the lids together (flat side, not the side that the handle is attached to)

Are they the same size?

Yes? Then put any lid on any keg with a fresh o-ring gasket. (please don't ask me to explain what an O-ring is)

No? Place the same side that you held against the other lids and place it over the hole in the keg (big hole where the lid goes) and if it's really close to the same size and the same shape, you can use that lid on that keg.

FYI, a racetrack shape is like this: http://images.google.com/images?q=t...oisite.com/product/conference/shape.racetrack

As Opposed to an oval which is a shape like this: http://images.google.com/images?q=t...ates/sticker-oval%20with%20black%20border.png

im not really sure how to reply to that insulting thread you left??? But thanks im not an idiot!!!! so i appreciate your support and thanks for helping the new and inexperienced brewers here learn all the lingo your so used to (you know OVALS AND TRACKS!!! or what ever)!!

Latest posts

Back