when to add lactose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronIV

Reaction score
i started a 5 gallon batch of blueberry/pomegranate cider the other day, and i added a half pound of lactose and some maltodextrin. I warmed up some water and dissolved the lactose and malto in it, but i noticed the lactose seemed to sink to the bottom. Since i added this to the primary do you think the lactose will fall out of solution and collect down with the lees? I just wanna know if i will need to add more come bottling time or if it will be fine.

You'll have to stir it in or you can just wait until bottling time and adjust. I back-sweeten after the fermentation is complete.

When I make cider I add the lactose in at the beginning. Better to boil it up I believe as lactose + moisture could = lactobacillus. Not 100% sure on that though.

Anyway nice clear cider after ferment and cold conditioning. 500g + wine yeast just holds it back from being bone dry.

Back