About to bottle 15 gals ETA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long?

• Under 3 fo sho

• Over 3 n00b

• why bottle?

• im here for the free beer

Results are only viewable after voting.
how big your bottles are depends a lot.

i do not envy you. I just bottled 4.5Gallons, took ~2 hours start to finish cleanup. The bulk of my time is setup and cleanup. The actual bottling takes 20 minutes.

It would take more than 3 hours for me to do 15 gallons, unless perhaps my bottles were already sanitized. I find sanitizing the bottles to be the slowest part for me. But it may depend on how you sanitize. I submerge 20 or so bottles at a time in a container of iodophore, then pull them out, empty, and drain upside down in my dishwasher rack. I'm sure there are faster ways to sanitize.

A month ago, I did 10 gallons in 20 minutes.

You do have to consider the fact that I keg, though.

:D

For the record I didnt get all 15 done :(

10 took me ~3 hours and I gave up in favor of dinner

I want to keg more now then ever!

My wife and I did 9 gallons in about an hour flat; I guess we just have the system down and the bottles are stored clean so i just spray some starsan in via spray bottle and dump it right before bottling.

+1 that is the same method I use, I actually just spray the entire milk crate of bottles with the spray bottle and dump then fill. Works out really well.

I wash my bottles after useage but I like to run a brush through them before the starsan. Im also working alone mostly with 12 oz bottles. I do 12 at a time...

Do you guys really get away with no cleaning and just a spray of starsan?

I wash my bottles after useage but I like to run a brush through them before the starsan. Im also working alone mostly with 12 oz bottles. I do 12 at a time...

After I drink a bottle I rinse them a few times in the sink. Saves cleaning time later on.

As long as they have no debris inside then i'm comfortable with just a spray of starsan.

Spray bottle of starsan is the way to go. My daughter sanitizes all the bottles while I siphon into my bottling bucket. Then she fills as I cap and the whole thing's done in less than 30 minutes.

After I drink a bottle I rinse them a few times in the sink. Saves cleaning time later on.

As long as they have no debris inside then i'm comfortable with just a spray of starsan.
what about dust that might fall into them between the cleaning and bottling time?

I need to have kids so I can make the production of beer smoother :drunk:

what about dust that might fall into them between the cleaning and bottling time?

pffft, thats why you bottle often enough that there isn't enough time for dust :cross:

usually enough starsan gets into the bottle to rinse any of that stuff out and if i'm going to be storing the bottles for a while I just put them into the milk crates upside down.

After washing, I put the bottles in upside down. No dust falling in mine.

A week before bottling I wash my bottles in dishwasher with the Drying cycle on. When I take bottle out of washer I put them into their case and cover with Saran Wrap (Plastic Wrap, cellophane wrap,) however you call it. Stack them in my Brew room.

On Bottling Day, I set my Pail of beer on Left side of my table, and C-clamp my capper on the Right side. I sit in a rolling chair. Set the case of 12 on floor in middle. I pull one bottle at a time out of case and fill, the set it on the table between my pail and capper, I do all 12. then I roll over to the capper and and set every bottle back into it's case as I cap them till all 12 are done, move case of full doz over to it's conditioning spot and set another case on empties in front of table.

At least that is how I use to bottle, Now I just fill 3 large Stainless steel kegs that hold about 5 gallons each :)

dp

what makes it really easy ... i have one of those brass carboy cleaners that screws onto a sink faucet, just leave that on one of the sinks i don't use so much (in the laundry room) and spray the bottles out really well right after you use them. then befor ei bottle i put them in the dishwasher and run the sanitize cycle while i get everything else ready.

A month ago, I did 10 gallons in 20 minutes.

You do have to consider the fact that I keg, though.

:D

For the record I didnt get all 15 done :(

10 took me ~3 hours and I gave up in favor of dinner

I want to keg more now then ever!

And that is the reason my 3 keg system is being delivered tomorrow or Thursday! SWMBO hates the "beer all over the house" even though she gave me the starter kit in the first place! So, being the compliant and helpful HWMO, I'll use kegs for secondary and serving, thereby removing any unsightly covered glass carboys and the bottles conditioning in ugly brown boxes.:ban:

My wife and I did 9 gallons in about an hour flat; I guess we just have the system down and the bottles are stored clean so i just spray some starsan in via spray bottle and dump it right before bottling.

Same here.

I spend more time cleaning up the bottling bucket and racking stuff than anything else.

I've never bottled, went right to kegging. I figured I'd end up kegging anyways.

Honestly, kegging doesn't save me any time. My bottling system is just as fast as my kegging. I sanitize all my bottles in the oven wrapped in tin foil, then store in boxes. When bottling day comes, I invite a friend over. I fill bottles as fast as a siphon can run, and he caps with my bench top. I can do 10g in about a half hour, maybe 45 minutes.

Maybe I am overly cautious with my kegging, but cleaning and prepping the kegs takes me a while. Also, I might be bitter because I just lost 4.5g because of a leaking keg.

once I moved to 10 gal batches, I went to kegging too. There was no way I was going to deal with all of that bottling. Not to mention storing all of those bottles. Now my brewing schedule has changed into doing brew weekends, and I do 20 gal in a weekend. Not a chance in hell that I would want to bottle all of that. That's about 200 bottles.

Just thinking of it makes me want to drink!

Back