Lager for 4 weeks, then...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broadbill

Reaction score
I'm planning on an Octoberfest beer for later this month and it will be my first lager. I have a spare refrigerator and a new Ranco controlller and I'm dying to try out.

I'm thinking of trying a recipe similar to Jamil's Octoberfest recipe which calls for a lagering for 4 weeks followed by bottling and serving.

If I really wanted to keep this beer around until fall, is it OK to bottle the beer after lagering and keep it out of cold storage without it going downhill? Or does it need to be keep cold for the entire summer for it to continue to age/condition and be great in the fall (assuming proper storage conditions: away from light, cool as I can (basement storage)).

I would like to free up my refrigerator so I can use it to control fermentation temps for ales during the summer and don't want to lose this ability just to to keep the Octoberfest at lagering conditions...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Back