Does anyone know what are those white spots in my cheese ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merianos

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not sure if this the right place to ask my question, so I am really sorry if I desturb. :)

The reason I create this topic is because today I purchase a hard cheese from super market and when I open the package I found that the cheese has the white spots in the picture.

I know this kind of chease (graviera - greek cheese) and I am 100% sure it should not have those white spots.

But is there anyone who recognize them ? I like to know what could be that white sposts.

Kind regards
Nikos

b9587f24-51ab-4d29-9ebd-f2e687158216.jpg

Another strange think is that the smell is really heavy, not us the cheese should be. The cheese smells very nice. Just I suppose it is damaged.

Hard cheese = aged cheese ==> that process develops aroma and flavor.
If you don't like ==> return to market.

Cheese can spoil, but the older and harder it is, the less chance it will.
Most spoilage in cheese is from unwanted molds (black, brown, red, orange, and certain green ones).

Hard to tell from the picture but those white spots don't look like mold. Looks like crystallized salt, which is perfectly normal.

Latest posts

Back