Forgot to add malto dextrin....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty_Mug

Reaction score
Brewed a double chocolate stout and in the process of over sampling the Imperial Porter during the brew, I forgot to add the malto. How bad is this going to affect it? In learning a new lesson with each batch as a newbie (on my 3rd), I now know that too much porter during the cook is fun but makes the memory a bit fuzzy. Lol -especially when I got the burn on my arm. Remember it happening -just not how... Probably over sharing, but know I can't be alone in this lesson. Figured it would be worth a laugh to a few others right before the "Newbie!" comment.

Brewed a double chocolate stout and in the process of over sampling the Imperial Porter during the brew, I forgot to add the malto. How bad is this going to affect it? In learning a new lesson with each batch as a newbie (on my 3rd), I now know that too much porter during the cook is fun but makes the memory a bit fuzzy. Lol -especially when I got the burn on my arm. Remember it happening -just not how... Probably over sharing, but know I can't be alone in this lesson. Figured it would be worth a laugh to a few others right before the "Newbie!" comment.

I quit drinking while I was brewing when I dropped my nice new digital thermometer in a pot of almost boiling wort. I reached in and grabbed it before it sunk but managed a couple of pretty blisters from that. Yes it was called blistered beer after that LOL

I forgot it once in one batch. When I bottled it I put it in with my priming sugar and boiled it and then dumped it in my bottling bucket. You need to have a little more water though simply because it does not dissolve very well

Your beer will still taste great. The mouthfeel and head retention might suffer a bit but it will hardly be noticeable. Stouts are usually have a thick mouthfeel either way so malto dextrin isn't even necessary for that style. I guess it is a personal preference if ever.

Thank you all for the information and guidance! Just transferred to secondary and added malto. Initial taste tests are great. Can't wait to get it done.

Back