What I have lying around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
As I'm pretty sure we all do, I have some ingredients left over from previous brews. I have a handful of recipes that I want to tackle next and none of them call for almost any of the extras I have (especially the Perle hops). Using Beersmith, here's something I came up with. Pleas elet me know what y'all think.

9# Pale 2-row US
1/2# Crystal 60L
1/2# Roasted Barley
1/2# Vienna
1 oz Perle hops (60 min)

Single step infusion for 60 min @ 154.

Est. OG 1.051
Est. FG 1.013
Est Color 17.5
Est IBU 24

Seems to fit in the realm of an American brown or nut brown.
Any and all comments, suggestions, criticisms are welcome.
Edit: this would be for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Mmmmm, sounds good. I have a house recipe that is simular. I use 40L and no roasted barley. My mates really like this, so I have turned it into a HOUSE recipe. Ive only made it 3 times, but it is a keeper. For the HOPs I used Mt Hood, but that was also due too what it was on hand.

TL, would recommend adding more hops, or changing off from the Perles (keep in mind I really want to use the Perles soon)?

The style guidelines for American Brown are 20-40 IBU, so he's in range....my only thought is that it looks like too much roasted barley, but that's just personal preference.

maltMonkey said:
The style guidelines for American Brown are 20-40 IBU, so he's in range....my only thought is that it looks like too much roasted barley, but that's just personal preference.

IMO, the roasted barley looks a bit high. I've never used more than .25 lbs. in a 5 gallon batch, hearing that the roastiness will take over the beer. Other than that, the recipe looks good.

I know I just did something similar in hopes of using up all of my left over roasted barley and made 10 gallons of RIS. I still have a quarter pound of it left, and have the RIS had a TON of roast quality in it (FYI, grain bill on it called for .25 lbs. of Roast Barley, 1.5 lbs. Chocolate Malt, and .10 lbs of Black Patent, so there was more than enough roasted grains.).

I still think your recipe looks tasty, though.

Do it to it.

Cheers,

should you really even use roasted barley for a brown...i'd prefer chocolate malt. In any case, i'd cut the roasted barley to 1/4 lb at most...other than that it looks good.

Barley down to 1/4, got it. I have a pound of it lying around since I purchased it by accident and have had nothing to use it in. What else would it be good in?

jacksonbrown said:
Barley down to 1/4, got it. I have a pound of it lying around since I purchased it by accident and have had nothing to use it in. What else would it be good in?
It's typically used in stouts & porters.

Back