Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbentz

Reaction score
Just purchased a large freezer and converted it to a fridge so I can dial it to appropriate fermentation temperatures.....Im sure the temp of the beer in the actual fermenter will be slightly higher than the temp of the air in the fridge.....but how much?
I imagine depending on the yeast used you would want to play it safe and while the most aggressive part of the fermentation keep it nice and low but dial it up a few degrees after a couple days so as not to stall the fermentation???
Sounds logical to me....but hey....Im new to this part of the brewing process.

I do not have a ferm chamber but what I've read is that folks will use a piece of styrofoam or bubble wrap and tape the temp probe against your fermentation vessel with it. The bubble wrap/styrofoam just provides a barrier to air temp so that your controller is managing your fermenter temp....not the air temp

I currently have the probe just dangling there in the air.....and a strip thermometer stuck to the outside of the vessel.....not sure how accurate those are though.
The important temp is the liquid though, not the air, correct?

As interesting as Marshall's experiments have been, I would certainly not discount fermentation temperature as a factor in all styles with all yeast strains.

I usually set my fermentation temp to about 3-5F lower than my desired beer temp.

Yes you do want to warm up the temps a few degrees after the krausen falls. This is usually referred to a the diacetyl rest (or d-rest). It lets the yeast clean up their fermentation byproducts and finish attenuating.

I second the wrap, I use the reflective bubble wrap that they use on hot water tanks. doubles as a light protection to protect skunking of hops too!

Also are you using a temperature controller like a stc1000 or anything?

And what about hearing the chamber when it is cold outside? Ive got a light bulb inside of it and it seems to be doing the trick.....any better ideas though?

I currently have the probe just dangling there in the air.....and a strip thermometer stuck to the outside of the vessel.....not sure how accurate those are though.
The important temp is the liquid though, not the air, correct?

the temp strips on the outside of the primary are surprisingly accurate, usually closer to liquid temp than air temp in my experience.

Hmmmm... That's interesting. My next upgrade is going to be a ferm chamber so that I can do lagers... But this is making me think about just giving it a try at ale temps and see what happens...

I've been struggling with the whole ferm chamber thing. If I'm going to tie up more floor space with another freezer it better be worth it. I'm fortunate because I ferment in my basement where it's always 68 and a tub of water sits at 64 before I even add an ice pack. Do I really need a "ferm chamber"? I sometimes think I would use another freezer mor for cold crashing and carbing up kegs to be ready to move to keezer.
Of course if I lived in Arizona and fermented in my garage then I would have a differ set of priorities.

I've been struggling with the whole ferm chamber thing. If I'm going to tie up more floor space with another freezer it better be worth it. I'm fortunate because I ferment in my basement where it's always 68 and a tub of water sits at 64 before I even add an ice pack. Do I really need a "ferm chamber"? I sometimes think I would use another freezer mor for cold crashing and carbing up kegs to be ready to move to keezer.
Of course if I lived in Arizona and fermented in my garage then I would have a differ set of priorities.

I'm also able to maintain fairly good ale temps, but I know the temps get a little higher than they should during active fermentation... But my beer tastes good (at least to me, and that's all I'm shooting for). However, I'd like to do lagers. And I can't help but think if my beer is good now when I'm a bit lax on my fermentation temps, how much better could it get with a good fermentation chamber?

I second the wrap, I use the reflective bubble wrap that they use on hot water tanks. doubles as a light protection to protect skunking of hops too!

Also are you using a temperature controller like a stc1000 or anything?

Not sure I understand this. If you have a fermenter in a controlled environment like a freezer, don't wrap/insulate the fermenter. Just use a small piece of cloth or something over the probe, taped to the side. Gets a more accurate reading of the liquid and not the ambient air. The probe needs to be in as close a contact to the container as possible.

Just protecting the beer from the light given off by the bulb. The glass carboy is clear and I fear that the light may penetrate and alter the beer in some way....maybe overcautios?
Thats why I was asking about alternate ways to heat it up.

I'm also able to maintain fairly good ale temps, but I know the temps get a little higher than they should during active fermentation... But my beer tastes good (at least to me, and that's all I'm shooting for). However, I'd like to do lagers. And I can't help but think if my beer is good now when I'm a bit lax on my fermentation temps, how much better could it get with a good fermentation chamber?

This is exactly where I am at. I almost wonder if a ferm chamber might be more useful for making saisons than lagers....I know..I know....crazy talk....but someone had to say it. :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is exactly where I am at. I almost wonder if a ferm chamber might be more useful for making saisons than lagers....I know..I know....crazy talk....but someone had to say it. :mug:

The one advantage I would have is that I would plan to keep the fermentation chamber in my garage so that I wouldn't have to lug the fermenters down to the basement. I could ferment where I brew... So that is another advantage this would create for me. But there are so many other upgrades I'd like to also do, that I wonder how much of a priority I should make this. For saisons, I keep my fermenter in my furnace room in the winter, and in a warm closet in the summer.

Its actually a 56 Pontiac Chieftain.....My Grandfather bought it when he started the family business, Rileys Beef Jerky, in Northern California......he has since passed away and the car was left to me......4 generations, tons of family memories and good times as well as many more to come! Shes been with me for just about every brew Ive ever brewed LOL
Thanks for noticing!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455418482.771491.jpg

Thank you!
Thats quite the car there too!
Mine just has so much family history that it means the world to me......still smells like my gramps lol

Its actually a 56 Pontiac Chieftain.....My Grandfather bought it when he started the family business, Rileys Beef Jerky, in Northern California......he has since passed away and the car was left to me......4 generations, tons of family memories and good times as well as many more to come! Shes been with me for just about every brew Ive ever brewed LOL
Thanks for noticing!View attachment 337475

That is gorgeous man!

I'm actually using a kegerator as my ferm chamber and ALSO as my keezer. It's not ideal with rotating the kegs and fermenters in and out but it's been working for the time being, and I only ferment for a few days in it anyway so it's not a huge deal. I really want to frankenstein a very small mini fridge and use the guts from it to build a ferm chamber that can hold a couple of carboys but it will take some work and will obviously destroy the old fridge in the process, but it's old and was free anyway...

Back