Fruit in Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
Doing a cascade orange ale and I was considering adding orange flesh to the boil at either at flameout (or maybe 5m). Will that work? Couldn't find much in a search. I was also going to add a small amount of sweet orange peel.

Didn't want to bother with a secondary fruit addition.

Not a great idea to boil or use flesh at all really. It will add a lot of tartness but not a lot of flavor. The best flavors in citrus are in the outer zest, in the colored portion, not the white pith. The best time to add the zest or peels is in secondary, and the best way is to soak in a couple ounces of vodka for several hours or overnight, then just add the flavored vodka on bottling/kegging day.

Cheers. :mug:

Thanks for that tip. I really like the zesting+Vodka method you mention. I've always done fresh/frozen in a secondary, but for oranges this seems like a good method. I assume you've done this method before with success?

I have done this with a lime and ginger beer with great success. I also use vodka for my jalapeno porter, which I've brewed many times over the years and people really seem to like it. Same for my gruit, I add herbs and spices via vodka. Vodka tinctures are something that usually works better than anything else, adds tons of flavor and aroma without any harshness that might come from boiling or fermenting.

Back