7 Crowns flatline!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It had been a very wet spring and beginning of summer here. However, I proceeded as normal. In early spring, I cut the growing bines down as needed until after the last frost date. On the last cutting, I opted to take a practice from the commercial yards and used my weed burner to cauterize the cut ends, spread out some compost and a heavy layer of mulch. And began to wait until they reemerged.

That may have been the means to the ends.

Most summers here are dry as a bone being cooked in an oven. Not so this summer, so far.

After weeks went by I noticed only about half of the plots were showing any sign of activity so, i figured they weren't warming quickly enough. Highly unlikely but, whatever. So, I pulled the mulch back to expose the soils underneath. And waited.

More time passed and, nothing.

I recalled seing a heavy layer of white mold between teh soil and mulch and had a thought that maybe THAT had taken hold of my hops. Then, the USDA Hop Manual therad is posted and, it too mentions white mold and shows a pic of the tell tale teeny mushroomette.

I figure "Crap! My crowns are molded"

So, I root around to see whats up.

Nothing but bronze collered sponges. 7 crowns! I tore several of them apart to what the inside was like and see if there was any sign of life.

The veins were full of soil and sand.

I think two things occured here. Red Cron root rot and Grubs.

I had one crown that was infested with grublettes. They were deep into the crown too. The real pissoff is I had innoculated all the plots with nematodes specific to june bug grubs.

Oh well.

Yeah. I realize.

And, ironically, I have 3 bags of the Bayer Grub killer I have yet to lay down. Wasn't going to lay it down on the hops tho'. Guess I will now.

Saddest bit is, I doubt I will re-establish the lost crowns. I still have 6 crowns to nurse and have yet to brew anything this year. SO, I have little need for hops much less all the work involved in processing them.

Those plot will make for some nice vegetable gardens. Next year.

Did you finish digging that creek/lake/moat yet? Been waiting for pics since you first posted the plans! :p

Broke down and got rented trencher Friday and managed to bungle a knee in the process. Spent the rest of the weekend in water to recouperate. Est completion ~ Winter 2010.

Back