boosting abv in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wworker

Reaction score
Hey there,

I recently brewed edworts bavarian hefe. It finished at 1.019(I must have mashed too high?). Anyway, it tastes fine, a little sweet, but pretty weak.

I was wondering if about adding dextrose/water to the beer and racking to a carboy for a few days. I don't know how this would affect the taste or anything else other than abv.

thoughts?

ok...scratch racking if need be....will the addition of dextrose achieve my goal?

Yeah, racking is to help clear the beer after it is done fementing. If you want to add more fementables, you are not done.

If you want to dry it out and raise the ABV a little maybe add some honey and leave it in the primary for another three weeks. Why do you say it was weak? What was the OG?

Really, the addition of sugar or honey should have been done before fermenting. At this point I would just accept what it is and try to do better next time.

You can always blend it with another beer perhaps one that is a bit stronger or like others said chalk it up to experience and have a nice session hefe

You can always blend it with another beer perhaps one that is a bit stronger or like others said chalk it up to experience and have a nice session hefe

I thought about that. I may do that, but I will definitely leave this one alone.

Thanks

Back