First timer question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universe

Reaction score
I just put on an extract kit...a Beer Makers Australian Pilsner. Instructions say at bottle time, to put a tsp of sugar in each 750ml bottle. My father has been doing it for years and put the sugar in the whole batch before bottling. Any feelings on this? Thanks.

pilsnerfirst.jpg

Boil the sugar in a couple cups of water and add to the whole batch. It's very difficult to get the right amount in each bottle and you risk under or over carbing single bottles that way. The instructions that come with kits are notoriously bad and in this case Father knows best. :D

Boil the sugar in a couple cups of water and add to the whole batch. It's very difficult to get the right amount in each bottle and you risk under or over carbing single bottles that way. The instructions that come with kits are notoriously bad and in this case Father knows best. :D

Awesome, thanks.

Put the boiled sugar water into your bottling bucket first, then rack the beer. This will mix the sugar more thoroughly.

Put the boiled sugar water into your bottling bucket first, then rack the beer. This will mix the sugar more thoroughly.

Can you explain what that means? I'm SUPER new. So you pull the beer out of the carboy into a 'bottling bucket' or food safe pail? Have the sugar in there first, leave the sediment I assume? Is that what 'rack the beer' means? Thanks.

You got the meaning just fine (sugar first in the bucket). Racking is just the word used to mean moving beer from one vessel to another.

Can you explain what that means? I'm SUPER new. So you pull the beer out of the carboy into a 'bottling bucket' or food safe pail? Have the sugar in there first, leave the sediment I assume? Is that what 'rack the beer' means? Thanks.

Yep, you got it all right.

Latest posts

Back