Belgian Wheat Still Going... and going and going...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerdave

Reaction score
Hey all,

I did a Belgian Wheat partial mash from AHS a couple weeks ago. I had it in the primary for two weeks. Everything was good at the start - started fermenting and i saw the bubbles coming out of the airlock for a good week. Started to die down after the first week, but about every 5-10 seconds I would see another bubble. Usually, I would transfer to secondary after the first week, but I saw the bubbles and figured a couple more days would be good to mellow out the bubbles. I transferred the brew to secondary after two weeks and the gravity read about where it should (went from 1.060 to 1.016 - pretty close to the instructions). After a day, the airlock couldn't handle the furious bubbling and started to foam out a little bit. I switched it to a hose and a bucket of sanitized water after that. So now approaching 3 weeks (2 in primary, 1 in secondary) and it's STILL bubbling about every 5-10 seconds. Just a bubble, but it's still producing CO2.

So the question is, what's going on with it? I tasted it between primary and secondary and it tasted like beer.... nothing funky. Should I wait another week in the secondary before bottling? I'm using the White Labs Belgian Wit (WLP400) yeast. Any help would be great. Thanks.

that yeast can take a long time to ferment and the krausen drop. Just give it time, maybe take a hydrometer reading, but time will cure all.

By long time, how much time should I leave it in the secondary? another 2 weeks?

I'd say leave it until it's done. When the gravity remains the same for a number of days in row, you should be set. I have a steam beer that I'll (finally) be kegging this week. It was one week in the primary and three so far in the secondary. It took that long to get 3 consistent readings over the span of 6 days.

jokerdave said:
By long time, how much time should I leave it in the secondary? another 2 weeks?
sure, whatever it takes for the krausen to drop and the gravity readings to become stable. remember this isn't an exact science. I have a beer that's been done for a week but it's still in the primary cause I'm too lazy to rack it :)

i made an all grain blue moon clone. I used the AHB recipe. It took a little longer to reach the final few points..but it got there... I kegged it last week....and I have to say its one of the best beers I have made so far...everybody seems to like it a lot. They all say it is smoother than Blue Moon. I have to make another batch this week because they almost tapped me out in one poker night!

I have a batch going that behaving a bit like yours. It's been over two weeks in the primary.... still bubbling.

Whatevar, I'll let it go as long as it needs. I'm patient. :mug:

I'd say to leave it sit for another week. Just close the closet door and forget about it if you can. ;)

From my experience Belgian yeasts always take their time. I've had them take between 14-22 days to finish fermenting

I took a look at it today and it looks like it's finally stopped... about 30 days. I'll probably bottle today and hope for no exploding bottles. Thanks for all the help.

Back