Help withWater ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

417cowboy

Reaction score
Hi yall need some help with my equations
Wanted to see if I was close. My CaCo3 is 117.9 my Ca is 32.2 and my MG is 9.8. I came out with a ph of 5.8. Did I do my math right?

I can't answer your question but I am genuinely curious as to how you got a pH level from those two numbers

Never seen that calculation before. How can the left side of the equation equal 5.8 when 5.8 appears on the right side.

Without any other info this is obviously mathematically impossible with x not equal to 0.

(pH =5.8+x)

How can pH equal 5.8 unless x = 0. Where does 5.8 as a constant come from in the equation?

In addition this is not enough data to calculate pH to the best of my knowledge.

Where are you getting the formula from?

Sorry x equals multiply. It I rounded it out to 5.8 it was actually 5.85049948. designing great beer book

Ph= 5.8+(.028x[total ALKx.056)-(Cax.04)-(Mgx.033])
Firstaidbrewing

(.028x[total ALKx.056)-(Cax.04)-(Mgx.033]) =x This does not equal 0 so your equation is impossible as it reads based on a pH of 5.8

5.8=5.8+X Impossible.

Again. what are you basing this calculation on? Makes no sense to me

X is not a variable. It was representing multiplication in the given equation.

Call it Y then instead of X, or A or B or C.

Your equation reads nonsense still.

5.8 (your stated ph)=5.8+Y

where Y=(.028x[total ALKx.056)-(Cax.04)-(Mgx.033])
unless Y=0 it makes no sense. then it reads pH = 5.8+0
Where does your 5.8 constant on the RHS come from?

Dude. Forget it then. You can not be helped nor can you help me
But thanks for trying

No worries. Water pH is entirely unimportant though. It is mash pH you need to concern yourself with. Something I do on every batch I make. Never mind.

The page in the book you show BTW requires data you measure from a mash with distilled water. That is something that is not a constant at 5.8. That figure is merely given as an example. You need to carry out a mash and measure the pH at room temperature.

Again. The data you have is not sufficient to calculate water pH (a very unimportant number). Mash pH is what we brewers are concerned with.

Best of luck going forward. Perhaps better to post this type of question in the brew science forum rather than chit-chat as some experts will be able to give you better answers to explain your equation.

Nawh it's me buddy. I'm new to this and am jumping in with both feet. Just don't want to ruin the good name of beer

There are some good stickies (the threads always at the top of the subform sections) in the brew science.

I commend your enthusiasm in getting stuck into water chemistry so soon as a brewer. It was almost a year before I tackled it. There are more important things to get right but that's not to say it can't be tackled too.

Here is a great thread to get you started on water chemistry

Bru'n Water is also a great free online software for tailoring your water. Lots of good information in it too. You need to know what's in the water you have in your tap or use reverse osmosis water or distilled. The latter two give you a blank canvas with which to build water. You also need a good pH meter. Listen to the experts on HBT before buying one when the day comes that you want one. That's what I did and am very happy with my meter.

Common errors new brewers make in water chemistry are covered in great detail in this thread. I fell victim to more than one of the listed errors.:cross:

Back