First post: question about kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post!
I started my first batch about a week and a half ago, a Brewer's Best extract kit with some grain. I just kegged it last night, and it's sitting at room temperature while yeast go to town on the priming sugar. I've pressurized the keg (a Pepsi tank) enough to make it airtight.
  • A.) Should I keep relieving pressure to avoid making the yeast inactive,
  • B.) will the CO2 created by the yeast remain in the beer at room temp, or will it escape,
  • C.) will I still need to force carbonate after the yeast finish with the priming sugar,
  • D.) I don't have a way to refrigerate my brew; will this be a problem?
Thanks in advance for the tips!

Similar quentions come at least once a week here. Please do a search and you'll find more info that you know what to do with.

In the interim

a) no

b) it will not escape, if you follow answer 1) above

c) yes

d) yes, unless you like warm beer.

Er--- force carbonation is NOT needed if one is doing natural carbonation, as implied by the use of priming sugar. It's generally a choice of either or. Either you chose to force carbonate in order to have precise control over the carb levels and limit the amount of trub OR you carbonate naturally for aesthetic or recipe reasons. There is no reason to force carb a brew that's been naturally carbed.

Whether it is carbonated with priming sugar in the keg or not makes no difference in what the carbonation level will eventually be. The naturally carbed keg will still need to be put on the gas to be served. Over time the volumes of CO2 in solution will reach equallibrium with whatever pressure the CO2 regulator is set to.

If you don't have a way to refrigerate and don't have a Jockey Box then maybe you are jumping the gun with kegging.

John

johnsma22 said:
Whether it is carbonated with priming sugar in the keg or not makes no difference in what the carbonation level will eventually be. The naturally carbed keg will still need to be put on the gas to be served. Over time the volumes of CO2 in solution will reach equallibrium with whatever pressure the CO2 regulator is set to.

If you don't have a way to refrigerate and don't have a Jockey Box then maybe you are jumping the gun with kegging.

John

my feelings also

Back