Racking Oatmeal Stout on top of cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB428

Reaction score
My oatmeal stout is pretty much ready to transfer to secondary. I plan on doing this on Friday which will be 4 weeks in the primary. I can get the Oregon brand canned cherries and I'm wondering how much I'll need for a 5 gallon batch? I don't want an overwhelming cherry flavor, I want more of a mild flavor that doesn't overpower the taste of the beer. Also, how long should it stay on them before bottling? Trying to plan out brew related activities around work/school schedules.

On a different topic, while I was in the basement last night grabbing a sixer for the the fridge I looked at the fermenting bucket. I have spots of mold growing on the outside where I spilled some of the wort when I was transferring it from the kettle. I'm confident that none of the mold got inside. What is a good way to get rid of the mold on the outside to avoid the possibility of contaminating future batches?

Most cherry-flavored beers call for 1-1.5 cans...use probably half of one? You'll want to use some campden tablets or something to make sure they're clean before dumping them in.

I use dried bing cherries and soak them in a small amount of high-proof alcohol overnight before dumping the lot in - much easier and cleaner.

I always used a can of Welch's Cherry juice extract.

Just use some bleach water to clean it up, and keep the cleanser out of the brew, yo!

Back