English Brown Recipe Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrome

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I've been brewing for about a year now, but this is the first recipe I've made completely on my own (with DGB's help of course). Most of the recipe's I've used I found right here, so I figure this is the place to get help with my own, right?

Anyways, Here it is:

English Brown Ale

O.G. 1.050

8.00lbs Marris Otter
1.25lbs Carastan 35
1.00lbs Biscuit
0.25lbs Chocolate

1.00oz Fuggles at 60
0.50oz EKG at 30
0.50oz EKG at 15

Planning to use Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

MAsh at 154 for 60 minutes

What do you guys think? It seems pretty standard, but any comments/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first Brown.

Thanks!

Looks fine. I've never used biscuit malt though. You might want to double check that 1 lb (10%) is an amount that is generally used. Some of those special malts have intense flavors.

Jrome, you are right, looks pretty standard but it should not disappoint you. It's very similar to a brown I brewed that won 2nd place at State Fair. I just used Amber malt in place of your biscuit and used a seasonal strain of yeast (White Labs Yorkshire 037). Don't carbonate all that high and/or drink at cellar temps to help bring out those malt flavors!

Thanks for the replies!

I've never used biscuit malt either, but am a big fan of that flavor so that's why I put it in there. Amber malts seems pretty similar, but I hear it's pretty strong. Would one pound of Amber be overpowering?

For me the 1 pound of amber malt was not overpowering given that the recipe had a pound of crystal malt to counter it with sweetness/body. I used Crisp Amber malt and it is possible that it might be milder than other maltsters. I've heard their Maris Otter is more mellow/bland than others.

Back