Newbie - Kegerator after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I have been lurking for awhile and about to make jump into buying brew equipment etc... I currently have kegerator and refrigerator I can use for fermentation. I just need a temperature controller to go along with frig.

When My beer is done fermenting I plan on kegging. Can I transfer keg of beer (Ale)to my kegerator (Usually 36-38 degrees)for remaining conditioning time. The reason for this would be to free up my refrigerator. This is not a must but was just thinking ahead.

Don't know if this temp would be too cold for process. Should I just condition in frig with controlled tem 62-68?

Thanks,

Mike

Leaving your kegs at 65-70F will help them condition faster, but there's nothing wrong with putting them in the fridge. I would just keg them, seal the keg, and let them sit for a few weeks before starting to carb them.

I recently got into kegging, and I rack directly from the primary to the keg. I blast it with CO2 and purge the headspace a couple of times to get the O2 outta there, then I settle on a carb pressure (normally 12psi) and stick it in the kegorator. in a week my beer is perfectly done. I have let it set outside the kegorator carbing, but have noticed not appreciable difference in the beer.

Do I need to leave co2 hooked up. Can I just seal and blast with co2 ? I only have one co2 bottle and would want to re attach to existing keg.

Thanks

Do I need to leave co2 hooked up. Can I just seal and blast with co2 ? I only have one co2 bottle and would want to re attach to existing keg.

Thanks

You can seal it and be fine. I usually hit mine with about 30 psi for 10-15 seconds. Pull the pressure relief to seal, then disconnect the co2. I've let some kegs condition at room temp like this for 6+ months.

It depends on whether or not you want it to carb while you condition. i've blasted kegs once a day with 30 psi, but it's easy to overcarb that way. if you just blast the keg with CO2 the beer will absorb it and you won't maintain pressure. Check out www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php to see a great chart on slow force carbing your beer. if you're ok with waiting another week to drink the beer when you're ready to leave it hooked up to the CO2 than you're fine. I'm just too damn impatient for that. :p

Thanks

You can piggyback a couple more regulators, or just run a splitter/manifold. I have a regulator on my tank that I keep at 40psi, and three regulators and one inline y-fitting that I use to keep four kegs going at all times. It's handy for different serving pressures (I prefer my hoppy American IPA's at 14psi or so, but an Irish Red, for instance, at more like 10psi) and carb levels. This will allow you to rush a keg by hitting it with high pressure for a day or two while maintaining serving pressure on your other kegs.

Back