Where/How to Find Locally (MA, New England) Grown Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanZarrella

Reaction score
I'd love to brew with some locally grown hops or barley (even extract if I could find it).

But after much googling, I've yet to find a source, even though it appears that MA is the birthplace of American hops.

Any advice?

Nice idea but there aren't any commercial brewing products produced in the area AFAIK. You can plant some hops in your yard and support your LHBS. ;)

I bought some hops from a farm in Exeter, RI in August. He was planting lots more for next year. I could dig up his info if you need it.

I bought some hops from a farm in Exeter, RI in August. He was planting lots more for next year. I could dig up his info if you need it.

I'd love that info too if you wanted to spread it around.

@biged I don't have a yard (I live in the city)

And yeah, I'd totally love the contact info if you're into sharing!

I was thinking about that too (100 mile challenge, et al.), but don't know of anything around here. NH maybe if its not all for the cows.

Powdery mildew wiped out the hop farms in your area, but with resistant strains developed recently there's renewed interest.

You probably won't have any luck in finding local malt. Malting barley isn't very tolerant of damp summers (smuts, rusts, etc) and was never a big crop on the East Coast.

yeah its just whole, raw barley.
From my research it doesn't appear to be too hard to malt barley at home.

I might toast a little in the oven for a particular batch, but malting is a science that I'll be content to watch the pros do. I don't have the time.

There is a hop farm in on the way to Mount Snow near Newfane, VT that I used to pass as a kid. I have no idea if it is still in operation or what the name of it is. But there was a lot of hop vines set up in that field IIRC.

Back