First Brew In The Bucket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
YAY!

Decided to forgo the gym tonight and stayed home...to brew some Pale Ale. :ban: My gf, Trish, helped out in the process, especially by getting me the True Brew kit for my b-day.

I boiled what I thought was enough water in the AM before I went to work and let it cool for the day. Came home and cooled it to about 68F.

Steeped my grains up to @185F and filtered the liquid through the grains.
IMG_2975.jpg

Adding the 1 can of hopped light malt extract and 2# Light DME.
IMG_2980.jpg

Sanitizing.
IMG_2977.jpg

Sprocket in on the action.
IMG_2981.jpg

Hops just about to be added.
IMG_2986.jpg

Trish having a beer.
IMG_2983.jpg

No boil over here.
IMG_2989.jpg

Cooling.
IMG_2993.jpg

I realized that I didn't boil enough water this morning to have almost 4 gallons of water. So I boiled and cooled a second batch which was added to the wort(?) and original water. This came to a final volume of 5 gal.

Into the Ale Pail.
IMG_2998.jpg

Taking the temp for yeast pitching.
IMG_3001.jpg

Taking OG.
IMG_3004.jpg

One final stir and close her up!
IMG_3016.jpg

OG: 1.046
Alc. 5.25%

The yeast was pitched at 65.6F.

Now the wait begins...

Good thing I picked up some IPA. :mug: :tank:

happy brewing, is that a pitbull??? if so you have a F'ing beautiful dog man

cheers fleas :drunk: :drunk:

He's a boxer. His snout is longer than most so everyone thinks he's a pit.

Not a bad bone in his body. :) The best dog ever.

Welcome to the obsession. Couple of things...none of which are a very big deal.

1) you steeped your grain too high. Grain steeping should be done between 150-160, and never above 170. Above 170 you can release tannins from the grain husks which have a bitter off flavor. I am assuming it was specialty grains, and with specialty grains it is not as big of a deal as it is with base, but still it is good practice to be in the 155 range.
2)You should re-hydrate dry yeast. I am not sure of the exact reason, but something like there is a coating on the yeast and rehydrating it will allow the yeast to work better. All you need is about a cup of 85 degree water and sprinkle it in. Do this first, brew your beer, and it should be ready to go by pitching time.
3)you didnt seem to get much aeration. I am assuming by your picutures, so I may be wrong. But you want to aerate your beer (shake, stir, pour from up high etc) as much as possible before you pitch your yeast so that the yeast have a good environment in which to reproduce. However, after the yeast is pitched, never try and aerate your beer...you will oxidize it.

Beer looks good man, you are going to be hooked.

cubbies said:
Welcome to the obsession. Couple of things...none of which are a very big deal.

1) you steeped your grain too high. Grain steeping should be done between 150-160, and never above 170. Above 170 you can release tannins from the grain husks which have a bitter off flavor. I am assuming it was specialty grains, and with specialty grains it is not as big of a deal as it is with base, but still it is good practice to be in the 155 range.
2)You should re-hydrate dry yeast. I am not sure of the exact reason, but something like there is a coating on the yeast and rehydrating it will allow the yeast to work better. All you need is about a cup of 85 degree water and sprinkle it in. Do this first, brew your beer, and it should be ready to go by pitching time.
3)you didnt seem to get much aeration. I am assuming by your picutures, so I may be wrong. But you want to aerate your beer (shake, stir, pour from up high etc) as much as possible before you pitch your yeast so that the yeast have a good environment in which to reproduce. However, after the yeast is pitched, never try and aerate your beer...you will oxidize it.

Beer looks good man, you are going to be hooked.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if the temp was too high for steeping. No, I didn't get much aeration. There really wasn't any mention of it.

On a good note, I'm getting bubbles in the airlock so it must be fermenting! :ban:

Congratulations! I am envious of your seamless first experience (no boil-over!). Keep us posted. Sprocket is gorgeous...I love dogs and cats who have that beautiful brindle coloring. :mug:

Back