Clarity Ferm - Does reducing the gluten content of beer change its character?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I recently picked up a couple of vials of White Labs Clarity Ferm to play with, which is a protease enzyme that is added to chilled wort to break down chill haze proteins. As a side-effect, it appears to sharply reduce the gluten content of a beer as well according to some reports.

My basic question is what function gluten usually has in a beer, and to what extent Clarity Ferm changes the beer's character, if at all. I am especially concerned about mouthfeel, since leftover proteins tend to contribute to that (though presumably to a lesser degree than dextrins, especially in clear beers). If it does affect mouthfeel, could it be compensated for by leaving more dextrins in the beer, or is the mouthfeel contribution by proteins of a different character?

Does anyone have a reference or experience on this?

Sorry, don't have any experience yet. I bought the clarity ferm as well and used it on a batch that I brewed 11 days ago.

The problem is that it's a fruit beer, so the fruit could cover up a lot. I will be taking a sample prior to fruit in secondary, so I'll try to judge the character.

I have it in the fermentor now. Problem is that fermentation didn't start for over four days despite pitching a (decanted) 1.6 l starter that was very vigorous, so I don't know if the results will be very indicative of the quality of the product. We shall see.

I have used it on a batch of beer I brewed for a friend who is sharply gluten intolerant and he seems to have no side effects from the gluten.

The beer turned out awesome. No problems with mouthfeel.

I've used it a few times, and I didn't notice any affect on the body of the beers at all. I guess if you did a side-by-side tasting of the same beer with and without the enzyme, you might notice a difference, but I haven't actually tried that. All the beers I've brewed with clarity ferm have turned out great though. No chill haze either.

Latest posts

Back